[Peace-discuss] about the lawyer

Lisa Chason chason at shout.net
Tue Apr 27 22:51:49 CDT 2004

Seems a little odd that 2 critical emails have come from women who were not at last week's mtg. I drafted a note to you all after the mtg as well, but ended up not sending it. As I said that evening I, too, feel strongly that we shouldn't get involved with this mixed bag of a lawyer. But mostly I left Sunday feeling pretty alienated from our group, which I care about a great deal, and confused. It seems to me that if some of the people who have given an awful lot to the organization express such strong reservations, and say they find this man sexist and are personally offended as well as politically put off by him, it should be enough to have us all change gears and look for a mutually satisfying solution. There was an undertone to the meeting that if we were REALLY radical, we would see that his bad language is appropriate and the professional reprimands a badge of honor, considering the system in which we exist. But to turn it around and have US willing to defend HIM would mean we all found him worthy, and that is obviously not the case. (And please stop conflating the arguments that we need to have a lawyer on our side, which we are all in agreement on, vs. it has to be THIS lawyer.)  If the group continues to come down on the side of ignoring what some have taken very serious issue with, there is a risk of deeply dividing our group. I think at moments like this we should show that we are willing to defend each other, and that this would be far more meaningful in the long run...

Lisa