[Peace-discuss] upcoming event

Peter Rohloff rohloff at uiuc.edu
Thu Apr 29 09:29:10 CDT 2004

Howdy all, I'm organizing this event. The folks could be in town
earlier in the day for 'other' events--radio interviews, talks, that
sort of thing. Ideas anyone? I don't have much time these days, and if
anyone wants to help organize some additional things I would appreciate
the help. Flyer forthcoming later this week.

Cosponsors so far are: AWARE, Channing-Murray, the Forum on
Nonviolence,  Justice for Palestine, Students for Palestine, Worldwide
Human Rights Organization, Egyptian American Students Association, and
Penguin Revolution.

On Tuesday, May 11, from 7-9 pm, the Balata Refugee Camp installation
will be at the Channing Murray Foundation.
The Balata Refugee Camp is one of the most hardhit communities in the
West Bank, Palestine. Refugees from the 1948 expulsion, the over 30,000
residents are crammed into a single suffocating square kilometre. The
Balata Refugee Camp installation is composed of pictures, sound,
childrens art, photos, film, stories and video and audio interviews.
The content is determined by the people of the camp, and is intended to
both represent life there and bring a message to people in the 'West'.
The installation will be coming on tour around the US, UK and Sweden,
aiming to raise awareness about the complex and desperate situation in
the refugee camps, spur viewers into action and build links between
people and organisations in Balata camp and others outside. The
installation is organized by activists from the International
Solidarity Movement, which is a grass-roots, Palestinian-led nonviolent
movement devoted to raising international awareness about the plight of
the Palestinian people, will be at the Channing Murray Foundation.

For more information, go to:

http://www.palsolidarity.org/

http://www.minio.co.uk/balata.htm