[Peace-discuss] Help re-appoint public health advocates to the County Board!

Brooke Anderson brooke at shout.net
Tue Aug 3 11:23:53 CDT 2004

 From Champaign County Health Care Consumers:

Friends,

We're writing to ask you to help secure the reappointment of two strong
public health advocates to the County Board of Health.  The two people
are
Michele Spading and Karen Bojda.  Each has served one full term on the
Board of Health, and they have applied for reappointment.

Michele and Karen are long-time supporters and advocates for important
public health services to residents of Champaign County, and three years
ago, when the Democratic Party secured a majority on the County Board,
they agreed to apply for appointment to the Board of Health.  County
Board
Chairperson Patricia Avery appointed them, and they have been a real
force
for public health services and for accountability in terms of how tax
revenues are spent.

Michele and Karen are advocates and fighters, not politicians.  They
have
managed to anger some folks within the Champaign County Democratic
Party,
and there is a move afoot to deny them reappointment.  Still, Ms. Avery
apparently is willing  to reappoint them, despite some vocal opposition
from members of her own party.  If she does that, the appointments will
be
voted on at the meeting of the full County Board this Thursday, August
5.
Michele and Karen do have support from at least some Republicans, which
is
good: We may need bipartisan support to secure their reappointment.

What will help is if you could send friendly emails expressing support
for
Karen and Michele.  This is not really a "confront the bad guys"
situation. This is more "support the good guys and influence the swing
votes."  So, a "positive message" is the way to go.  A sample will be
pasted in below.

What we are asking is:

1) Please email Patricia Avery to express your support for Karen and
Michele.  Ms. Avery seems to be on our side, so we don't want to push
her
-- we just want to assure her of community support for her position.

2) Email or call any committee members who live in your County Board
district to express your support for Karen and Michele.

3) Email or call other County Board members in your district to let them
know your position

Contact information for County Board members will be pasted in below,
after
the sample message.  If you are not sure what County Board district you
live in, you can find out by clicking on this link:
http://www.champaigncountyclerk.com/registrationstatus.asp

SAMPLE MESSAGE
Dear Ms. Avery (or Dear County Board member),

It has come to my attention that it is time for the reappointment of Ms.
Michele Spading and Ms. Karen Bojda to the County Board of Health.  I am
writing to express my support for their reappointment.

Ms. Spading and Ms. Bojda are committed advocates for public health
services for residents of Champaign County, and for wise stewardship of
tax
dollars in providing those services.

As such, they worked to create the Champaign County Child Dental Access
Program that is doing such a tremendous job of providing dental care and
oral health education to County children.  And they have given much of
their own time and energy to help Program Coordinator Lisa Bell make the
program a success.

As you probably know, while they are both staunch supporters of the
County
Health Department, they also believe very seriously that the tax
revenues
and other sources of income that support the Health Department must be
spent wisely, and they believe that they must oversee that spending --
and
be able to report on it to the County Board.

In recent months, Ms. Bojda and Ms. Spading have spent a good
deal of their time and personal funds researching how other County
health
departments
structure fiscal accountability in their operations.  I believe this
provides a good base for their advocacy of strategic planning to meet
current and future needs for quality health care services in the county
for all our citizens.

Again, I support the reappointment of Michele Spading and Karen Bojda
to the
County Board of Health, and I urge you to do the same.

Sincerely,

Name
Address
Tel.

**********************************

Here is a list of the email addresses of all County Board members who
have
email (below that is a list of full contact information for all County
Board members):

jjay at mchsi.com, larry.sapp at carle.com, pbusboom at aol.com,
lousmith at mchsi.com, croziers at illicom.net, dffeinen at nhb-law.com,
sluckschroeder at prodigy.net, stapley at att.net, gknott63 at aol.com,
lashunda at advancenet.net, tavery at co.champaign.il.us,
tonyfabri at hotmail.com,
KevinBrumback at msn.com, jaba at net66.com, sshoem3636 at aol.com,
nhgreenw at prairienet.org, tbetz_legalguy at yahoo.com, rlangenh at uiuc.edu,
jennyp at net66.com, steve at beckettweber.com, kirchbob at advancenet.net,
bysocki at uiuc.edu

**********************************

COUNTY BOARD MEMBERS

County Board District 1

John D. Jay (R)     12/02 - 12/04
302 W. Main
Mahomet, IL 61853
(217) 586-5336
email: jjay at mchsi.com
Committee Assignments: (CF, HT)

Lawrence Sapp (R)         12/02 - 12/04
311 Ridge Rd.
Mahomet, IL 61853
(217) 586-3192
email: larry.sapp at carle.com
Committee Assignments: (CF, JSS)

Chris Doenitz (R)       12/02 - 12/06
125 County Road 2300 N
Mahomet, IL 61853
(217) 586-6917
Committee Assignments (ELUC, JSS)

County Board District 2

Patty Busboom (R)    12/02 - 12/06
5909 N. Highcross Rd.
Urbana, IL 61802
(217) 643-7414
email:  pbusboom at aol.com
Committee Assignments (ELUC, F)

Louie Smith (D)     12/02 – 12/06
421 Fox Ridge Drive
Rantoul, IL 61866
(217) 892-8931
email:  lousmith at mchsi.com
Committee Assignments: (CF, HT)

Don Crozier (R)        12/02 – 12/04
2181 County Road 3000 N
Rantoul, IL 61866
(217) 568-7104
email:  croziers at illicom.net
Committee Assignments: (CF, HT, LN)

County Board District 3

Deborah Frank Feinen  (R)         12/02 – 12/06
         1202 Mayfair Rd.
         Champaign, IL 61821
         (217) 356-2086
         email: dffeinen at nhb-law.com
         Committee Assignments (HT, PPA)

Jonathan Schroeder    12/02 - 12/04
         684 County Road 400 N
         Sadorus, IL 61872
         (217) 598-2327 (home)
         (217) 598-2343 (fax)
         email: sluckschroeder at prodigy.net
         Committee Assignments: (ELUC, HT)

Scott Tapley (R)          12/02 – 12/04
         4405 Crossgate Dr.
         Champaign, IL 61822
         (217) 351-7031
         email: stapley at att.net
         Committee Assignments: (F, JSS)

County Board District 4

         Greg Knott (R)        12/02 – 12/06
         1377 County Road 2275E
         St. Joseph, IL 61873
         (217) 469-0223
         email: gknott63 at aol.com
         Committee Assignments: (CF, ELUC)

         W. Steven “Steve” Moser (R)         12/02 – 12/06
         1860 CR 1400 N
         Urbana, IL 61802
         (217) 469-7565
         Committee Assignments: (F, LN, PPA)

         Stanley S. “Steve” O’Connor (R)             12/02 – 12/04
         1151 CR 1800 E
         Urbana, IL 61802
         (217) 688-2210
         Committee Assignments: (JSS, PPA)

County Board District 5

         Lloyd Carter, Jr. (D)             12/02 – 12/04
         810 W. Fairview
         Urbana, IL 61801
         (217) 344-3305
         Committee Assignments: (HT, JSS)

         Lorraine Cowart (D)             12/02 – 12/06
         601 E. Bradley
         Champaign, IL 61820
         (217) 355-9042
         Committee Assignments: (CF, HT)

         LaShunda Hambrick (D)        12/02 – 12/06
         105 E. Hill
         Champaign, IL 61820
         (217) 356-1136
         email: lashunda at advancenet.net
         Committee Assignments: (F, JSS)

County Board District 6

Patricia Avery (D)             12/02 – 12/06
1308 W. Clark
Champaign, IL 61821
(217) 351-4014
email: tavery at co.champaign.il.us
Committee Assignments: (Board Chair, F, PPA)

Anthony Fabri (D)                12/02 – 12/06
308 N. Edwin
Champaign, IL 61821
(217) 355-1693
email: tonyfabri at hotmail.com
Committee Assignments: (Board Vice-chair, F, LN, PPA)

Kevin Brumback (D)              12/02 – 12/04
205 W. Vine
Champaign, IL 61820
(217) 351-0933
email:  KevinBrumback at msn.com
Committee Assignments: (CF, F)

County Board District 7

         Janet Anderson (D)              12/02 – 12/04
         1911 McDonald Dr.
         Champaign, IL 61821
         (217) 356-2433
         email: jaba at net66.com
         Committee Assignments: (ELUC, JSS)

         Steven Shoemaker (D)                    12/02 – 12/04
         405 Avondale
         Champaign, IL 61821
         (217) 356-3636
         email: sshoem3636 at aol.com
         Committee Assignments: (ELUC, HT)

         Nancy Greenwalt (D)                        12/02 – 12/06
         505 W. Green
         Champaign, IL 61820
         (217) 355-5169
         email: nhgreenw at prairienet.org
         Committee Assignments: (CF, ELUC)

County Board District 8

         Thomas Betz (D)                 12/02 – 12/06
         707 W. Oregon
         Urbana, IL 61801
         (217) 328-5419
         email: tbetz_legalguy at yahoo.com
         Committee Assignments: (F, LN, PPA)

         Ralph Langenheim (D)          12/02 – 12/06
         401 W. Vermont
         Urbana, IL 61801
         (217) 344-5285
         email: rlangenh at uiuc.edu
         Committee Assignments: (ELUC, HT)

         Jennifer Putman (D)             12/02 – 12/04
         402 W. Delaware
         Urbana, IL 61801
         (217) 337-1148
         email: jennyp at net66.com
         Committee Assignments: (JSS, PPA)

County Board District 9

         Steve Beckett (D)                12/02 – 12/06
         1794 Aero Place
         Urbana, IL 61802
         (217) 328-0353
         email: steve at beckettwebber.com
         Committee Assignments: (CF, PPA)

         Robert Kirchner (D)                  12/02 – 12/04
         215 E. Sherwin Dr.
         Urbana, IL 61802
         (217) 328-0547
         email: kirchbob at advancenet.net
         Committee Assignments: (JSS, PPA)

         Barbara Wysocki (D)            12/02 – 12/06
         108 W. Holmes
         Urbana, IL 61801
         (217) 367-5014
         email: bwysocki at uiuc.edu
         Committee Assignments: (F, ELUC)

**********************************

Thanks for your help and your support.  If you have questions or need
additional information, please email me at wwmuelle at shout.net, or call
me
at 352-6533, ext. 13.

Thanks again,

Bill Mueller
Champaign County Health Care Consumers

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Brooke Anderson
Champaign County Health Care Consumers
44 E. Main Street, Suite #208
Champaign, IL 61820