[Peace-discuss] The need for a Palestinian Gandhi

ppatton at uiuc.edu ppatton at uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 27 19:29:12 CDT 2004

Gandhi Heir Urges Palestinians to Adopt Non-Violence Tactic
by Eric Silver in Jerusalem

The grandson of the Indian leader Mahatma Gandhi has urged
Palestinians to rise up peacefully to demand an end to
Israeli occupation, and said freedom was close.

Arun Gandhi said yesterday that non-violence would increase
world sympathy for the Palestinians. It was not too late to
start a non-violent movement in the West Bank and Gaza,
captured by Israel in 1967, he said, and he condemned a
barrier Israel is building in the West Bank as an "evil
thing".

"I know your day of freedom is very near," he told thousands
of flag-waving Palestinians in the West Bank city of Ramallah
after meeting Yasser Arafat, the Palestinian president.

Palestinian Prime Minister Ahmed Qurie (C) holds hands with
Arun Gandhi (L) the grandson of Mahatma Gandhi and a priest
during a protest against the controversial Israeli security
barrier in East Jerusalem August 27, 2004. The grandson of
slain Indian leader Mahatma Gandhi urged Palestinians on
Thursday to rise up peacefully to demand an end to Israeli
occupation, and said freedom was close. REUTERS/Goran
Tomasevic
Mr Gandhi visited the West Bank from his American home but
despite a genial half-hour meeting with Mr Arafat in
Ramallah, his pleas largely fell on deaf ears.

"We can only achieve peace through non-violence," Mr Gandhi
told The Independent. "When we respond to the oppressor the
way the oppressor has done - with the use of violence - then
we lose our moral strength."

He described his conversation with the Palestinian leader as
very fruitful. "We couldn't take any decisions in half an
hour, but he agreed in principle that non-violence was an
option. I intend to keep in touch with him."

Some Palestinian commentators have started questioning the
wisdom of the four-year intifada, which has only increased
Palestinian suffering. "There is a trend which believes in
non- violent struggle," Ziad Abu Amr, a former minister
said, "but I don't think the Israelis are interested in
it ... It is very difficult to copy the types of struggle
which occurred in India in the context of the Israeli
occupation."

Eyad Sarraj, a leading Gaza psychiatrist and human rights
campaigner, doubted whether it was a starter. "There's so
much hatred, so much thirst for revenge. It would be very
difficult to channel this anger into a non-violence path."

London-trained Dr Sarraj said the perceived failure of the
intifada made it less likely than ever. "Arab culture is
about an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, especially so
now. People feel they have not achieved victory by violence.
Going for non- violent resistance would look like a form of
surrender."

Palestinians at the rally were split on the idea of non-
violence. "The peaceful resistance he talks about is better
than what we have here," said Mohammed Saber, 25. But Mahmoud
Suleiman, aged 15, said: "There must be armed and peaceful
resistance - armed is more important."
Dr. Paul Patton
Research Scientist
Beckman Institute  Rm 3027  405 N. Mathews St.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  Urbana, Illinois 61801
work phone: (217)-265-0795   fax: (217)-244-5180
home phone: (217)-344-5812
homepage: http://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ppatton/www/index.html

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.  It is the
source of all true art and science."
-Albert Einstein