[Peace-discuss] Saturday, right of way and eavesdropping

Susan Davis sgdavis at uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 31 15:44:07 CDT 2004

Hi all --

we have a demo on prospect this Sat and I thought you might use the
following info.

The new right of way in front of Tires plus extends 4-5-6 feet south
towards Tires Plus, behind the new sidewalk. It's essentially in line with
the trees. No way should anyone try to tell us that that patch of the grass
belongs to a private owner.  It's a narrow strip, unacceptably so, but it
doesn't belong to them.  We can answer the police knowledgeably if it comes
up again.

On the other hand, that area is still a mess from construction, so be
prepared to choose another corner.  Somehow, to my eyes, it looks like the
Tires Plus right of way area has become lower, less of a rise, and so
perhaps less safe.  Check it out.

As for the eavesdropping statute, it's still confusing. City Attorney
Hooker writes that he "wants to get a better handle on it." (And he'll get
back to us.) Do note that in the last week the NG has run stories and an
editorial concerning the Black community's attempts to tape police
interactions, and police objections to that via the "eavesdropping
statute."  I would say that, for now, it would be prudent for anybody
videotaping to step back a reasonable distance from a discussion between a
citizen and an officer IF REQUESTED TO DO SO by either party. On the other
hand, if you think something needs documenting, I would not be intimidated
from documenting it.

Hope this helps

Susan