[Peace-discuss] breakthrough on DN!/UPTV

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 2 00:29:10 CST 2004

Well, today there was finally a genuine breakthrough. The process has
finally started in earnest at UPTV to get DN! broadcasts going (apparently,
the nastygram below was the final necessary shove that shook things loose).
Specifically, the mayor signed the Free Speech TV Affiliate Agreement and
Chris Faxed it to Free Speech TV. That should trigger the shipment of the
necessary satellite equipment (and I'll make sure it does). It's not over
yet, but progress is finally materializing. I won't celebrate until I
actually see Amy Goodman coming out of my cable box, but it is a significant
milestone.

One tempering development, though, is that the "Memorandum of Agreement"
they drew up sticks me with every last penny of all costs in perpetuity. In
the past it was always understood the City would pay for the mounting
equipment and installation and that I wasn't obligated to pay for the
programming for future years. But here at the last minute, they've changed
their mind (though in fairness, I've always offered to pay all costs, if
necessary). I just signed it - the whole idea is to get the damn programming
thing on, after all. It's tough to say how much more it's going to cost.
I'll worry about looking for reimbursement from AWARE and others later,
after broadcasts start up.