[Peace-discuss] I'm embarrassed...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Sun Dec 5 22:16:33 CST 2004

Mort--

At the heart of Hitchens' apostasy (it was Rick Esbenshade's term) is his
notion that theism is murderous. His vestigial historical materialism
drops away in favor of his reductionist reading of "Enlightenment values"
as opposition to religion.  Read the Frontpage articles.  They're replete
with evidence.  And of course he's vigorously opposed to Israeli policies,
if for mistaken reasons, viz., that he thinks Israel is a theocracy, and
he's opposed to, etc., etc.

And I think you're quite wrong about Cockburn, who as a consistent man of
the Left notes here the serious matter of the intolerance and
patronization of liberals toward evangelical Christians -- attitudes that
undeniably exist, even if one deplores the theology and/or politics of
evangelicals.

Regards, Carl

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, Morton K.Brussel wrote:

> Carl,
>
> I believe Hitchens' apostasy, as you put it, does not have such simple
> roots as you portray. He doesn't, for example, fulminate much against
> the "born again Bush" and his born again allies as you might expect.
>
> Also, your humanists are not so uniform as you seem to suggest. You
> might consult publications such as "Free Inquiry" or "The Humanist".
> You will find there quite a variety of views, including some from the
> religious traditions. You will also find varying political opinions,
> the latter publication being quite a bit more to the left, opposing
> Israeli policies and the various U.S. wars, than the former (to which
> Hitchens regularly contributes).
>
> As for Cockburn, what he writes here is pure bombastic rhetoric,
> devoid of serious content.
>
> mkb

Hitchens' reasons I think were finally