[Peace-discuss] Heads-up on Puerto Rican gubernatorial election.

Phil Stinard pstinard at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 6 13:00:50 CST 2004

Heads-up on Puerto Rico's gubernatorial election

I’ve known for over a month that Puerto Rico’s November 2
gubernatorial/resident commissioner election was a shambles, and have been
waiting for news of the debacle to appear in the US press.  More than one
month later, a little news is beginning to leak out.  However, since some of
the reports appearing in the "progressive" press are clearly right-wing
propaganda, particulary Free Speech Radio News’ report from last Thursday, I
thought I’d do a little analysis to set things straight.  First, the FSRN
article:

>From Free Speech Radio News, Thursday, December 2, 2004:

"Puerto Rican Recount Begins Again

Ballots in Puerto Rico for the governorship are being recounted today.
However the method is hotly contested.  After the November 2nd elections
there is still no clear winner, reminiscent of a similarly contested
election in 1980 when a recount took two months.  Exit polls and newspapers
gave the nod to pro-state candidate Pedro Rossello Gonzalez. But, Anibal
Acevedo Vila, who is in favor of keeping Puerto Rico a colony and is
candidate of the current governor’s party, reportedly took a slight edge.
The recount was stalled for 6 days after about 150 election workers walked
off the job protesting the way ballots were being handled. Earlier in the
week, 20-thousand protestors took to the streets saying the U.S. courts are
interfering.  Puerto Rico’s Supreme Court ordered the counting to continue,
while a U.S. district court said disputed ballots should be set aside and
reviewed by the court."

When an article says that "exit polls and newspapers" give the nod to a
particular candidate, one should at least question the bias of the exit
polls and newspapers.  As it turns out, to the best of anyone's knowledge,
there were no exit polls conducted in Puerto Rico for that election, and no
newspapers declared pro-statehood candidate Pedro Rossello the winner.
Commonwealth candidate Anibal Acevedo-Vila was preliminarily declared the
winner the next day by the Puerto Rican State Elections Commission, and
that’s what was reported in the newspapers.  Secondly, the statement that
Acevedo-Vila "is in favor of keeping Puerto Rico a colony" is clearly false.
  The goal of the commonwealth party is for Puerto Rico to be an independent
republic with close economic ties to the US.  Until they can achieve that,
they prefer that Puerto Rico remain a US territory.

The FSRN article doesn't go into any detail about the nature of the vote
count controversy.  Puerto Rican ballots allow the voter to cast a vote for
a slate of party candidates.  Many people cast mixed votes, which is to say
that they put a mark for the party slate, and then cast votes for members of
other parties.  This is allowed in many places in the US (I remember that it
was allowed in Iowa), but the Puerto Rican elections laws are unclear (in
the past, such votes were counted).  Most of those votes were for the
Independence Party, with marks for the commonwealth party candidates for
governor and resident commissioner.  If all ballots are counted, the
commonwealth candidate for governor, Acevedo Vila won, and the statehood
candidate for resident commissioner (non-voting delegate to US House of
Resentatives, mainly a figurehead position) Luis Fortuno, won.  That created
quite a sensation in Puerto Rico, because it's the equivalent of having a
President from one party, and a Vice President from another party.  Puerto
Rico's Supreme Court ruled that the mixed votes must be counted, and
therefore, it was assumed that after the mandatory recount (for the
closeness of the results), the current results would stand.

However, the statehood party, wanting their candidate to win, filed a case
in US Federal District Court to have the mixed votes thrown out.  Since US
courts have priority over the Puerto Rican courts, the federal judge, one
Daniel Dominguez, ruled that the Puerto Rican Supreme Court ruling was
invalid, and furthermore that the recount must not include totals from the
mixed vote ballots.  After the recount is done without the mixed votes
(which will surely give the governorship to statehood candidate Rossello),
the judge will then decide whether or not to count the mixed votes.  In
other words, a US District Court judge will decide Puerto Rico's election.

The commonwealth party has appealed the case to the Circuit Court of Appeals
in Boston, which heard prelimary arguments and did not grant any emergency
relief.  The case will be heard in its entirety beginning this Friday,
December 10, I believe.  The commonwealth party wants the case removed from
US federal courts and placed back in the Puerto Rican court system.

In the meantime, other vile and vicious things are happening.  Marta Font,
one of the people appealing the case to the Appeals Court, said that she
voted one of the mixed ballots, and she wanted her ballot counted.  The
elections commissioner for the statehood party, Thomas Rivera-Schatz,
confiscated the ballots for Marta Font's precinct and claimed that there
were no mixed votes for the Independence Party and the commonwealth party
candidates, just a mixed vote for the Independence party and the statehood
party candidates.  There was a photo in the Puerto Rican press of
Rivera-Schatz holding up the ballot in question.  In a normal society, the
violation of elections rules and privacy that took place in constructing
such a publicity stunt would be repudiated by all, and Rivera-Schatz would
be prosecuted for elections violations.  But, this is Puerto Rico, and
instead, Marta Font has been subpoenaed by the Federal Court, possibly to
face perjury charges for “lying” about how she voted (!).  Of course,
security was so lax that Rivera-Schatz could have easily stolen or altered
ballots.  He was involved in voting irregularites during his party's
primaries earlier this year--he was caught on video moving ballots in the
trunk of his car.

Today’s report from Democracy Now! was accurate, even though it, too, is
woefully incomplete:

>From Democracy Now!, Monday, December 6, 2004:

"Puerto Ricans Protest U.S. Role In Election Recount

In other election news, in Puerto Rico, the candidate narrowly leading in
last month's governors race is charging the U.S. government with acting as a
colonial ruler for seizing control of ballot counting in the protracted
election. This according to a report in the Orlando Sentinel. A Boston-based
federal judge has decided to step in and overrule Puerto Rico's Supreme
Court on how to run the recount. Gubernatorial candidate Aníbal Acevedo Vilá
said the move 'tortures the island's residents and holds them hostage.' Last
week 20,000 people protested outside the federal courthouse in San Juan to
denounce the decision of U.S. District Judge Daniel Dominguez. Some
demonstrators held signs reading 'Stop the federal coup, respect Puerto
Rico.'"

I don’t know how accurate the quote from Acevedo-Vila is, though.  I didn't
see it in the Puerto Rican press, and it strikes me as a little odd and out
of context.  The news appearing in Spanish in the main San Juan newspapers
El Nuevo Dia and El Vocero is accurate, and tells all sides and facets of
the story.  It's a pity that the stories are manipulated during their
translation and no news editors seem interested in taking the time to see
that the stories accurately represent what's going on.

--Phil