[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Re: UBA Letter

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 6 15:00:42 CST 2004

"Political groups are not allowed to participate in political activities
inside the mall."  The passive construction is nice: who, after all, is
not allowing it?

The group meeting with Stevens should point out that opening malls as the
new public squares to civil liberties, is a movement under way across the
country.  We should do our part by considering a suit to do what we've
been doing outside, inside as well.  I suggest that we consult with legal
representation as well and report on the possibilities to the Sunday
meeting. --CGE

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, Morton K.Brussel wrote:

> Thanks for your kind words Al, but it was Durl Kruse who composed most
> of the letter to Tony Stevens of the UBA. I merely signed off on it to
> act while Durl was incommunicado. Susan, myself, and perhaps others,
> only offered some suggestions, which Durl incorporated.
>
> So thanks to Durl for carrying the ball.
>
> Mort
>
> On Dec 5, 2004, at 8:46 PM, Al Kagan wrote:
>
> > Mort,
> >
> > Thanks for your excellent letter.  I liked the ideas we discussed
> > tonight, essentially a two track strategy.  I am pleased that a group
> > is going to meet with Mr. Stevens to press him on opening up, and at
> > the same time, I think we should press the issue by going to "sell"
> > our post cards, and everything else on our literature table, including
> > all our pamphlets for 1 cent each.  If they throw us out, we we just
> > get more publicity.
> >

> > On Dec 3, 2004, at 11:22 AM, Morton K.Brussel wrote:
> >
> >> I received the following letter from Paul Tatman, Board President of
> >> the Urbana Business Ass'n.
> >>
> >> November 28, 2004
> >>

> >> Thank you for your recent letter regarding the Market In The Square.
> >> I appreciate your position concerning policies governing the indoor
> >> market. As you are aware, there are inherent differences between the
> >> outdoor market and the indoor market. The outdoor market is held on
> >> public property and is completely accessible to the public, including
> >> vendors, nonprofit groups and shoppers.
> >>
> >> The indoor market is held on private property that creates certain
> >> parameters that do not apply to the outdoor market. The property of
> >> Lincoln Square management is very clear. Political groups are not
> >> allowed to participate in political activities inside the mall.
> >>
> >> The Market in the Square is meant for vendors wishing to sell
> >> locally-made and locally-grown products to shoppers inside the mall.
> >> The Management reserves the right to approve or deny individual
> >> vendors based on mall policies.
> >>
> >> Lincoln Square has shown committed support for nonprofit and
> >> community groups over the years and will continue to do so.
> >>
> >> Sincerely,
> >>
> >> Paul Tatman
> >> Board President
> >> Urbana Business Association
> >>
> >> Nothing new here. There is no attempt to reconcile our requests with
> >> their rigid(?) rules, to admit that in fact the public subsidizes the
> >> Mall operation with its business and (perhaps?) with its taxes. Nor
> >> is their any attempt to define what is encompassed by "political"
> >> (Girl/boy scouts?, VFW?, church groups?,
). Does political mean