[Peace-discuss] FWD: Vote Fraud as Fundraiser

Walling, Jennifer jwalling at law.uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 10 11:25:16 CST 2004

I'd agree with what Mort just posted and don't want to discuss it too much,
but I feel the need to provide the info that I know to folks.  (Feel free to
ask me questions off list!)

I've never posted to this list before, but this piece really made me feel
like it needed a response (Sorry!)

Joshua Frank, while I'm sure he's a cool guy, has been critical of Cobb
throughout his campaign.  I hate being critical of people, but I'd describe
him as one of the "sore losers" who couldn't handle that the Greens wouldn't
give Nader the Green nomination (even though he wasn't campaigning for it
and had already told certain states that he wouldn't take their ballot line
if nominated, etc. etc.  I was one of the Illinois delegates to the Green
National Convention, if anyone has any questions about the convention, I
seriously can answer them.)

David Cobb and his campaign workers are all dedicated Greens who have worked
not only on the presidential campaign, but also on Green campaigns
throughout the country.  His partner, Kaitlin, who is mentioned in this
article recently won a Water District seat in California.

Trust me... none of the money of this campaign is going to the Green
Party... which a lot of folks have been bitching about at the national
level.  And the idea that Cobb is pocketing money is ridiculous.  Cobb spent
nearly a year traveling the country to campaign for the Greens and I think
that he spent only one night in a hotel (the night after he was arrested in
St. Louis).  Sure, his finances should be subject to scrutiny, but by law,
you really only need to disclose funds that support or oppose a candidate
(all of the money he's raising right now is going to a 527 organization and
not his campaign fund).

I know Cobb personally and his intentions are all good.  He vowed at the
beginning to fight voter fraud and he's doing it.  He's making sure that
people's votes get counted and that the voting irregularities in Ohio are
brought to light.

Sorry about this rant, but I just want to make sure people know about the
other side of this piece.
- Jen Walling