[Peace-discuss] Todd on WDWS

Sandra Ahten spiritofsandra at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 15 08:17:17 CST 2004

I understand that Mayor Todd Sattersthwaite is going to be on Penny For Your
Thoughts (WDWS 1400AM) this morning airing his outrage that the city council
did not approve his nomination for ward 7 councilperson. (Lynn Barnes -- who
is a Republican in Dem's clothing, much like Todd these days)

I called in yesterday and spoke to this issue, which host Jim Turpin was
outraged about. In response to me saying, "Don't I think that it IS and
issue that a candidate had never voted in a city election." He said, he just
didn't think that was the real reason they voted her down. When asked what
the real reason was.. he replied so they could get "their candidate" Ben
Grosser in.

I asked why he thought Todd would be so bold as to nominate a candidate that
really had such a vulnerable point and so had no chance of being approved if
there was a preferred candidate. He said he didn't know and was going to ask
Todd that tomorrow when he was on the show.

He did go on and on about Barnes qualifications because of her
administrative job at Carle. I recieved some fodder on this from an
anonomous source. I've posted it below, if you want to use it when YOU call
in this morning. I am going to be calling in myself if they have an open
line and talking about the suicides at the jail. I likely won't be "Sandra"
because I  was Sandra yesterday. Who should I be?
SANDRA

message from a friend:

I'm struck that the street doesn't go two ways with this issue. If Patt,
Wyman, Chynoweth voted against Barnes because Barnes was not a member in
good standing with the "Patt Group", as Turpin and Sattherwaite suggested,
does that mean that Barnes was a member in good standing with the
"Sattherwaite/Turpin Group"?

The assumption by the Sattherwaite/Turpin Group that a vice president of
Carle hospital, by virtue of her being a vice-president, makes her qualified
for the council is not necessarily the case. At a time when health care to
the poor is being denied by Carle hospital through their use of overpricing
services to the uninsured, the denial of services for people on Medicaid,
and the for-profit status of Carle Clinic; her vice-presidency of Carle
Hospital- her silent cooperation with body attachments to collect on medical
debt, her silence over the medicaid issue- more than makes her unqualified
in my opinion. Her lack of interest in City politics up till now is
suspicious at best. Never attending meetings, never voting, and now all of a
sudden when Carle is facing questions regarding their tax exempt property
status, she wants to "get involved" with the council? Turpin says Barnes
brings a business savvy to the council that is much needed. Sorry Jim
Turpin, but the way Carle Hospital does business in our community leads me
to conclude she is a busniness savage, and not the kind of thing we need for
ALL the residents of Urbana. If King Tod is allowed to excersise his
perrogative to select one candidate from the pool of applicants, no surprise
other council members excercised their perrogative at saying no to that
applicant. But because it was done by those girls......
It was telling that Sattherwaite left his chairmanship, to smear the ladies
in his superfluous "narrow-minded" speech, then left the council meeting
altogether to smear further in the small press pool outside chambers talking
to Barnes. Tod wants a show down with the gals more than he wants to fill
the vacant council seat. Period.