[Peace-discuss] CRISIS: Jail Suicides

Sandra Ahten spiritofsandra at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 16 11:02:39 CST 2004

There is a County Board meeting tonight at 7pm at Brookens Administration
Building. 1776 E. Washington Street. (east of Philo Road on the north side
of the road). The first section of the meeting is for community input.
Several of us have been organizing to raise awareness about the 3 suicides
at the county jail, the conditions at the county jail, and changes that we
think need to be made. If you want to know the details you can read my
reports, or listen on line by going to www.ucimc.org.

Steve Hartnett and Carol or Aaron Ammons are going to be presenting. I have
attached a statment that should be able to be read in five minutes that
summarizes about the suicides and the crisis nature.

Steve, Aaron and I met yesterday to discuss the strategy and Steven put
together the "talking points" outline. I have added notes to it in
[brackets].  It is also attached.

I understand that the Police Review Board advocates will be there in support
and I hope many other people will also. If anyone wants to speak you need to
fill out a sheet that is apparently laying on a little table when you walk
in... and give the sheet to the chairperson.

I will be working tonight, but with you in spirit. I'm getting all teary
eyed as i write, thinking of how many times I felt so alone, when I was
being victimized by the justice system. How many times I worried about my
own son being one of the statistics. Hoping that he would *only* be one of
the injustice statistics and  would not be one of the suicide statistics.
This is good work we are doing people. The folks who are at the mercy of the
jailers can not do it for themselves...and thier families are too burdoned
to be able to do it.

Thank you for stepping up to the plate.

Even if you can't be there. You can
1) Call the Sheriff and let him know of your concern. 217-384-3818
2) Call county board members and let them know of your concern. To access
the list of county board members go to www.champaigncountyclerk.com
3)  Organize. If you are interested in becoming involved in a group to
organize to make changes  email me or attend the AWARE (Anti War Anti Racsm
Effort) meeting next Sunday at 5pm at the IMC, 218 W. Main Street, Urbana

Sandra Ahten