[Peace-discuss] re: balata

rohloff at uiuc.edu rohloff at uiuc.edu
Fri Dec 17 11:59:44 CST 2004

This is an important and upsetting update from our friends in
Balata:

The regular nightly raids on Balata continue. People are
taken out of their
homes in the dark of night. Some are allowed to return,
others end up in
Israeli prisons, not to return for many years.

Arabic speakers might have noticed that we haven’t posted
updates to the
news section of balatacamp.net for a few days. This is
because one of the
balatacamp.net workers, Kelly, was arrested by the Israeli
Occupation Forces
on Tuesday. She has been interrogated and held in detention
since, and will
almost certainly be deported to the USA at some point this
week. She can be
reached in prison on ++972 54 6346923. A longer report of
what happened
follows below.

This will provide a significant setback to the balatacamp.net
projects. The
long-term international workers in Balata will go down from
two to one.  We
will be forced to refocus our workshops and activities.
Hopefully, we will
enable the Palestinian-led media groups [eg film collective,
young
journalist group] to work autonomously sooner, but this will
be difficult.

Any means that people can offer to help, whether financially,
by offering
time to help organise/administrate from your country or by
coming out here
yourself would be greatly appreciated.

Please email info at balatacamp.net with questions and
suggestions.
And continue to see www.balatacamp.net/~balata/website/
balata.htm for
updates.

On Tuesday December 14, the people of Bil'in accompanied by
international
and Israeli activists and journalists marched peacefully
against the
construction of the illegal Israeli Apartheid Wall. The
village of Bil'in,
located west of Ramallah, has been told that three-quarters
of its land will
be confiscated and handed over to the neighbouring Israeli
settlement during
wall construction.

The Palestinian demonstrators marched peacefully through
their land, using
their presence to obstruct the military surveyors planning
the precise route
of the Wall. To repress the nonviolent demonstration, 30-40
Israeli Border
Policemen fired tear gas and plastic-coated metal bullets
into the crowd,
before baton-charging those remaining.

Kelly, who was filming throughout the demonstration,
documented several
Palestinians being dragged off for individual beatings by
groups of
baton-wielding soldiers. When the soldiers realized she was
filming, Kelly
was wrestled to the ground and dragged up the hill. Later, a
second American
was arrested for filming.

Kelly said, "I was arrested filming the unprovoked attacks of
gangs of
heavily-armed soldiers on women and teenagers who dared to
say, 'Stop
stealing our land!' Israel depends on shooting mothers with
tear gas and
beating their children with batons to enforce the occupation
and subjugate
the people of Palestine. It relies on violence to quell civil
resistance,
yet tries to hide this fact from the world. That is why I am
in prison."

Since her arrest, Kelly has been stripsearched in an attempt
to humiliate
her and interrogated in the Ministry of Interior. She is
currently being
held in Hadera Deportation Centre, where a judge issued Kelly
with a
deportation order. Kelly has neither been informed of her
charges nor been
allowed to represent herself. She has not been told when she
will be
deported or informed of her rights.

She can be reached in the prison by telephone at ++972 54
6346923 and would
appreciate messages of support Alternatively, emails sent to
Kelly at riseup.net will be relayed to her.
Kelly is a journalist and community activist. She is working
on various
media production and training projects as part of the
Balatacamp.net
collective. See www.balatacamp.net/~balata/website/balata.htm
for further
information. Kelly entered the country legally in October and
has a visa.
She has never been deported or denied entry.

Peter Rohloff, PhD
Laboratory of Molecular Parasitology
Medical Scholars Program
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
217-333-4766