[Peace-discuss] Chomsky on Stephen Steinberg

David Green davegreen48 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 17 16:04:54 CST 2004

This is a pretty interesting forum interaction based
partly on the works of Stephen Steinberg, who I think
is little known and underrated. The work referred to
is "Turning Back," which is a history of the
ideological/political retreat from the promise of
equality of the civil rights movement. His other book
is called "The Ethnic Myth," which debunks notions of
white ethnic "merit" versus blacks and other racial
minorities.

Turning Back is a very readable book which can serve
partly as a history of the origins of the early
neoconservative movement in the 60s, which originated
in a backlash against the civil rights movement,
especially among Jewish intellectuals like Kristol Sr.
and Nathan Glazer, and Catholics like Daniel Patrick
Moynihan.

I believe that Steinberg teaches at one of the SUNY of
CCNY campuses.