No subject

Sun Feb 8 03:56:54 CST 2004

As a faculty member in SURS (state university retirement system) I
choose to invest my own pention funds in TIAA-CREF, rather then having
the state decide.  TIAA-CREF, the largest retirement system for
academics, is heavily invested in these corporations too. (There have
been failed efforts to have TIAA-CREF remove all funding from tobacco
companies.)

I think that any investment portfolio is going to be filled with these
corporations ... they make the most money.

I would also be concerned where the money for research is coming from.
(I have no facts, but I'm sure it's those same companies).  What
research is being done for the military? (The CS Dept was doing nuclear
simulations in the past, but again I have no facts)

There are current efforts by the Prairegreens and Students for
Enviornments Concerns to help promote a local economy ... this might be
a place to start ... unless there are alternatives, corporate investors
choose where the profit is regardless of the consequences (isn't
capitalism grand).

Ken Urban
Assoc. Prof. in Computer Science

B129A
(217)-353-2246
>>> Neil <parthun at students.uiuc.edu> 09/04/03 9:16 PM >>>
Hello all --
   This is Neil Parthun, co-President of Student Peace Action [contact
info at
the bottom in my signature]
   Recently, Kate Stepanski [ kstepans at uiuc.edu ] and I got together and
asked
the University of Illinois for the 2003 investment report to see what
stocks
we were investing in.  [Note: If anyone would like to see the investment

report or want further details, just contact Kate at her e-mail stated
above]
   She received it in the mail this evening and called me to let me know
that
the University has large investments in General Electric [they make the
guidance tips for smart bombs], Raytheon [the people who brought you the
"Star
Wars" missile defense shield that doesn't work], and companies like
Boeing,
Lockheed Martin and tobacco giants RJ Reynolds and Philip Morris.
   Needless to say I was "shocked and awed" to see that the University
puts
over $2 million in Raytheon, $5 million in GE and invested in other
companies
in the military industrial complex.  Since not many people [including me
and
Kate until this evening] knew about these investments by the University,
we
decided to inform everybody about it and also see if anybody has
suggestions
for possible plans of action to deal with this.
   Thanks for you time everybody.  Feedback very welcome!

Peace-Love-Solidarity
Neil

______________________
The most potent weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the minds of the
oppressed.
~Steven Biko

It's the two signs of the Republican party: An elephant and a big fat
white guy afraid of change.
~Family Guy

Big Brother isn't watching.  He's singing and dancing.  He's pulling
rabbits out of a hat.  Big Brother's busy holding your attention every
moment you're awake.  He's making sure you're always distracted.
~Chuck Palahniuk

Neil Parthun || parthun at uiuc.edu || cell: 217.953.1132 || room:
217.332.4291
*Junior, History