[Peace-discuss] Anti-"Chief" Introductory Meeting on Wednesday

Brooke Anderson brooke at shout.net
Sun Feb 1 15:29:28 CST 2004

Hey AWARE folks,

I wanted to let y'all know about an upcoming Anti-Chief Introductory
Meeting. As you probably already know, the UI Board of Trustees is
expected to vote on the future of the "Chief" at its March 11th Board
meeting, something that folks in this community have been organizing
toward for over 15 years now. So, it's pretty much "do or die" time
for the anti-"Chief" movement :)

And we know many folks have supported the movement for years, but
haven't been directly involved because we can't all be involved in
everything! But I wanted to make a special appeal to folks who
support the elimination of the "Chief" to up their involvement in the
anti-"Chief" movement between now and March 11th (the BOT vote) in an
attempt to bring together a critical mass of the community in support
of elimination and get rid of the "Chief" once and for all in March.

If anyone is interested in getting involved, we're having an
introductory meeting for folks who want to get involved this
Wednesday, February 4th at 7:30p.m. at the IDF. The meeting is for
both individuals and organizations and we're asking supportive
organizations to send a representative (or more!) to the meeting to
learn about and help shape anti-"Chief" plans for between now and the
March vote. Would AWARE be able to send anyone to this meeting? Or
would AWARE be interested in doing an anti-"Chief" event of its own
sometime this Spring (perhaps show In Whose Honor? at a meeting or
something?).

If you have questions or are interested, please get in contact with
me at brooke at shout.net.

Thanks,
Brooke Anderson
(for the PRC)

p.s. -- below is the official email announcement for the upcoming
introductory meeting in case you want to forward it around. Thanks!

-------------
Dear friends,

On March 11th, 2004, the Board of Trustees is expected to vote on the
future of "Chief Illiniwek." Such a vote has been 15 years in the
making, and the next month and a half is the final push. We know that
many of you, though you haven't been able to be directly involved,
have supported the movement for years. But now is the time. We are
writing to ask you to increase your involvement in the anti-"Chief"
movement, if only between now and March 11th.

To get involved, we invite you to attend the upcoming Anti-"Chief"
Introductory Meeting this Wednesday evening:

     Anti-"Chief" Introductory Meeting
     February 4, 2004 at 7:30pm
     Illinois Disciples Foundation
     (NW corner of Springfield & Wright, Champaign)

We all waited anxiously in November for the Board of Trustees to
finally vote to eliminate the "Chief" as the mascot and logo of the U
of I. However, the Board, once again, backed out of a vote to
eliminate this offensive stereotype from our community. We must make
sure that this does not happen again and that the Board feels
compelled by overwhelming campus and community pressure to eliminate
the "Chief" once and for all on March 11th.

Toward this goal, we are organizing a month of anti-"Chief"
activities and events leading up to the Board of Trustees vote. And
we need your help! Come to the anti-"Chief" Introductory Meeting to
hear about how YOU can participate in and help to plan the upcoming
Month of Ant-"Chief" Action.

This is a rare time in the history of the struggle against the
"Chief".  Don't miss your opportunity to be part of a successful
movement that is making a real difference!

For more information, contact the PRC at (217) 352-8721 or email
prc at prairienet.org.

Sincerely,
The PRC
--