[Peace-discuss] How AWARE got its spots

Lisa Chason chason at shout.net
Mon Feb 2 07:36:16 CST 2004

AWARE has purchased 9 underwriting spots on WILL that will begin airing today. Then for the next 3 weeks they will be read on Mondays and Thursdays during 10am and noon (Focus 580) and on Fridays between 4 and 7pm. Please listen for them and give feedback on whether or not you find the message/timing effective. In addition, discussion of our dealings with WILL will be part of a Free Speech Radio News story on other forms of big broadcast censorship, by Sandra Ahten, that can be heard this evening on the WEFT 5pm broadcast.

THE AWARE MESSAGE:
This broadcast is made possible with support from AWARE, an organization working for peace and justice through educational activities and projects. Meeting times are Sundays from 5 to 6:30 pm, at the IMC, 218 West Main St. in Urbana.
email AWARE at grex.org.

BACKGROUND:
After lengthy discussions we agreed on a message that uses the word peace and includes our acronymed name but doesn't mention the words anti-war: The management at WILL felt that to utter anti-war went against their policy guideline stating that underwriting spots "may not contain language that directly or indirectly advocates particular positions or points of view on controversial issues." The working group felt that the agreed message was an acceptable compromise because (1)WILL does broadcast so much that we do favor, (2) there are other ways that we want to continue to cooperate with WILL (community forums, guest editorials, community calendar listings, etc) and so we wanted to keep channels open, and (3) we didn't want to risk that some anti-AWARE element would challenge the message and then be responsible for a thousands-of-dollars fine.

So now we've got our spots. Please try to listen for them and give feedback.
Lisa,
for the working group