[Peace-discuss] Censure Bush for misleading us. (fwd)

patton paul ppatton at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri Feb 6 00:37:46 CST 2004

I have mixed feelings about this, because I feel that censure is too mild
of a response to Bush's misdeeds.  President Clinton was impeached
(though not convicted) because he made misleading statements about his
personal life.  Bush misled the american people and the Congress of the
United States on matters of national security and weapons of mass
destruction.  By failing to seek a constitutionally mandated declaration
of war before attacking Iraq, Bush violated the US constitution.  The
United Nations Charter specifies that a signatory may use military force
only if attacked by another country, if under imminent danger of attack,
or with the authorization of the UN security council.  Bush's attack on
Iraq met none of these conditions and was therefore illegal.  The
constitution specifies that a president must abide by any international
treaty that has been both signed and ratified.  Bush's failure to abide by
the UN Charter also therefore violates the US constitution.  Bush's
invasion of Iraq killed an estimated 10,000 Iraqi civilians and more that
500 american service personnel.  It alienated our allies, enflamed the
Islamic world, and disgraced America in the eyes of the world.  If this
doesn't warrant impeachment, then what does?
-Paul P.