[Peace-discuss] thanks - primaries, elections forum

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 8 12:24:34 CST 2004

Thanks, Doug-

Kucinich and Sharpton have both had a positive
influence, I think, on the Democrats' agenda.  Of
course they couldn't have done it without an
international anti-war movement that put over 10
million people in the streets on one day with one
message, not to mention military folks like you and
military families like our upcoming guest, and the
families of people killed on 9-11, who have been
speaking out.

Personally, I think the various parts of this movement
add up to the number one reason most of the
presidential candidates - and it seems almost all the
Illinois Senate candidates (thanks, Ken and Meg!) -
have been denouncing Bush's war to one degree or
another.  Of course, they do as little as possible
(and that's why we can't stop now).

Kucinich and Sharpton are the only ones who have been
consistently opposed from the start.  Dean was opposed
until the boots hit the dirt, and Kerry has gotten
more and more critical since his initial yes-vote, I
know, but as far as I know none of the viable
candidates have been principled on the occupation,
which is arguably worse than the invasion (more
Americans and Iraqis killed, etc.)

OK, I guess I'm giving my two cents despite what I
said before.  I won't go on, except to say that I
think it would be a big mistake for "us" to divert the
energies of such a successful movement to electoral
politics.  Now, before I get burned at the stake, let
me say that I don't mean that we shouldn't get
involved at all.  What I'm saying is that we can have
the greatest influence on policy (and on elections) by
doing what we have been doing: agitating, organizing,
mobilizing, demonstrating, protesting, speaking out
for principles, not candidates.

For one thing, if the Administration goes into
Pakistan or somewhere, the Dems need to hear it from
us first, loud and clear: support that crap and we
won't support you.

Others, I'm sure, will think differently.

Ricky

e-mail.