[Peace-discuss] Coca-Cola Resources

Neil Parthun parthun at uiuc.edu
Sun Feb 15 19:17:04 CST 2004

As I stated at the meeting, these are a few links that describe the crimes that Coke is accused of in India and Colombia.  In the lawsuit mentioned in Florida, Coca-Cola has been exonerated but the bottling affiliates are still under litigation.  There however is a precedent for holding Coke accountable for the actions of their bottlers.  In the 1980s, a major bottling plant Coke used in Guatemala was doing the exact same thing murdering unionizers etc.  Due to public pressure, Coke was forced to change bottlers and increase security for the workers and workers' rights.  Hope this is somewhat informative.

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Transnational_corps/Stop_Killer_Coke_Colombia.html

http://www.colombiasolidarity.org.uk/Solidarity%203/cocacola.html

http://www.news-gazette.com/story.cfm?Number=13378
This is local activism on Coke and it's union busting

http://www.colombiasolidarity.org.uk/Press%20Releases/cocacolaboycott.html

http://www.commondreams.org/cgi-bin/print.cgi?file=/views03/1112-09.htm

http://www.killercoke.org

http://www.colombiaactionnetwork.org

Besides overdrawing groundwater, Coke also distributed toxic sludge from its factory as a fertilizer to gullible farmers. To cap it all, Coke and Pepsi drinks in India were found to have unacceptably high levels of pesticides/toxins. For more on this, see the following article and the links therein -- http://www.corpwatchindia.org/issues/PID.jsp?articleid=4545

Stand Up and Keep Fighting,
Neil

OoOoOo...
Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
[Dorothy Day]

The logic behind 'My country: right or wrong' is equal to that of 'My mother: sober or drunk.'
[George Orwell]

Neil Parthun || parthun at uiuc.edu || 217.953.1132 || http://smash_the_right_wing.tripod.com