[Peace-discuss] Anti-"Chief" Month Update: See "In Whose Honor?" this week!

Brooke Anderson brooke at shout.net
Tue Feb 17 11:31:03 CST 2004

Anti-"Chief" Month of Action Upcoming Events:
"In Whose Honor?" Showings by Month of Action Coalition Members
Feb. 17 La Casa Cultural House
Feb. 19 South Asian Collective
Feb. 22 Anti-War, Anti-Racist Effort

Dear Friends,

The Anti-"Chief" Month of Action is under way! The Progressive
Resource/Action Cooperative along with dozens of other organizations
have formed an Anti-’"Chief" Coalition. Collectively, we worked
together to compile an entire month of Anti-"Chief" activity in our
campus and community in order to make our unified voice to the UI
Board of trustees loud and clear: VOTE TO ELIMINATE "CHIEF ILLINIWEK"
ON MARCH 11!

Three member organizations of the Coalition have organized showings
of Jay Rosenstein's "In Whose Honor?" throughout the week of February
17 to February 22.

"In Whose Honor?" takes a critical look at the long-running practice
of "honoring" American Indians by using them as mascots and nicknames
in sports. "In Whose Honor?" examines the issues of race,
stereotypes, minority representation and the powerful effects of mass
media imagery. For more information, visit:
http://www.inwhosehonor.com.

Come check out the showings at any of these three dates:

La Casa
Tuesday Feb. 17
La Casa Cultural House
1203 W. Nevada Ave., Urbana
7:00 pm

South Asian Collective
Thursday Feb. 19
Foreign Language Building G-3
707 S. Matthews Ave., Urbana
7:00 pm

Anti-War Anti-Racist Effort
Sunday Feb. 22
Independent Media Center
218 W. Main St., Urbana
3:00 pm

For a complete list of Month of Action events, go to:
http://www.prairienet.org/prc/PRCARCHIVES/2004/calendar.html

To download a copy of the Month of Action Calendar, go to:
http://www.prairienet.org/prc/events.html

Please stay tuned for further Month of Action Events.

In Solidarity,
PRC