[Peace-discuss] (no subject)

Al Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Sun Jan 4 23:11:34 CST 2004

AWARE Minutes, January 4, 2004

Ken Urban was the facilitator and Al Kagan took the minutes.

1.News of the Week - Carl
Will be posted separately.

2. Publicity for AWARE benefit donations -- Linda
We took in $1600 to be divided equally between the local Red Cross
and Oxfam Iraq.  Ricky will do a press release.  Linda will check
with the organizations about doing a photo opportunity, either at an
AWARE meeting or at their offices.  Our local Oxfam connection is
with the student group that does the annual Oxfam hunger benefit
dinner.

3. Finances - Linda
We have $2202.42.

4. Prospect for Peace - Ricky
We got a pretty good turnout and it was covered by Channel 3 TV.
Almanacs were there.

5. Martin Luther King Day events - Linda
The $100 check was sent for the ad in the cities program booklet. We
will do flyering at the Krannert event on Jan. 18th at 5 PM.  Peter
is coordinating. Al brought the flyering regulations and gave them to
Durl since we will likely be challenged again.

Note: can someone verify that AWARE is still a UIUC "registered
student organization"?  Are any students reading the minutes?  Let us
know.

6.  Letters to the editor.
There were some good ones.

7. Anti-racism - Linda
Beth Simpson is again offering her services as a mediator.  We can
ask if she has specific suggestions.  Susan will investigate getting
a speaker on the racial composition of the local military recruits
and reservists.  We need to know more about local black history.

8. New ideas
Ricky, Matt, Susan, and Carl will work on an almanac giveaway event
and other ideas about using humor to make our political points.
There is an open mike at the Cowboy Monkey on Wednesday nights at 10
PM and at the Canopy Club on Tuesday nights.  Perhaps the School for
Designing a Society would like to help with this?

9. Upcoming events.
Education or Incarceration? Schools and Prisons in a Punishing
Society: An Interdisciplinary Conference hosted by the University of
Illinois Center on Democracy in a Multiracial Society.. Thursday,
Jan. 22 to Saturday, Jan. 24th. See http://cdms.ds.uiuc.edu.

Veterans and their Families Speak Out.  Remember that we have invited
the anti-war mother of a recently killed anti-war Illinois soldier to
speak at the end of March.  She is Rosmary Dietz Slavenas and her son
was Brian Slavenas.  Brian graduated from UIUC in 2002.  Al will
follow-up when the time gets closer.

--

Al Kagan
Africana Unit, Room 328