[Peace-discuss] military retention

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Tue Jan 6 13:40:46 CST 2004

and a opening is there to change minds--- just think as from the 60"s

'WHAT IF THEY GAVE A WAR AND NOBODY CAME"?

we just may have peace on earth!

WOW!!!!  We could all rejoice!  We could put resouces where they actually do
some good!

doug

US army battles to keep soldiers
The US army is introducing a series of measures to prevent soldiers serving
in Iraq, Kuwait and Afghanistan from leaving the service.
Those who were planning to retire or leave in the next few months will now
have to remain with their unit.

Soldiers whose terms of enlistment have expired will be offered up to $10,000
to serve another three years.

An army spokesman said the moves were designed to maintain cohesion and
combat effectiveness.

BBC Pentagon correspondent Nick Childs says it is another sign of the strain
the US army is under because of the operation in Iraq.

He adds that it will encourage critics who say the military simply does not
have enough troops.

Leaders

The "stop loss order" to troops currently in Iraq, Kuwait and Afghanistan
means they will have to remain in service while their units are deployed - and
for up to 90 days after they return to their home bases.

It suggests just how strained the military is in trying to provide for the
Iraqi occupation plus all the other US obligations around the world
Ted Carpenter
Defence analyst

Our correspondent says there are already some stop loss orders in place and
US army officials are playing down the significance of this planned new
extension.
But he adds that it could mean real hardship for some soldiers.

Army spokesman Major Steve Stover said the order would affect about 7,000
soldiers currently in Iraq who were either due to end their service or retire
before their unit redeployed.

They are likely to be in leadership positions because of their level of
experience.

"The combatant commanders said that if you replace them by taking them out
now, it's going to cause turbulence and confusion, because you're taking away
key leaders at a key time when a unit is currently in operation," said Major
Stover.

Force rotation

Ted Carpenter, a defence analyst with the Cato Institute think tank, said the
stop loss decision went against the concept of volunteer military service.

"Clearly, if large numbers of personnel have their terms extended against
their will, that violates the principle of volunteerism," he said.

"It also suggests just how strained the military is in trying to provide for
the Iraqi occupation plus all the other US obligations around the world."

US military officials say re-enlistment bonuses are a common practice, albeit
perhaps not normally involving such large sums.

The BBC's Chris Hogg, in the Iraqi capital, Baghdad, reports that US army
officers there say that some of their men and women will be tempted by the offer
of extra cash to sign up for more years in service.

He says this is in spite of the 20-plus attacks on coalition forces each day
in Iraq.

Captain Tyrone Simms of the 1st Squadron, 2nd Armoured Division, told the
BBC: "Morale right now is really high, but the extra money will definitely raise
morale."

The new measures come as the army is embarking on a rotation of its forces in
Iraq. Among the first combat units to return from Iraq, beginning this month,
will be the 101st Airborne Division, based at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

What do you think? Do you know anyone in the army likely to be enticed by the
incentives? Send us your views using the postform below.

Your comments:

I think retaining experienced soldiers far outweigh the critics' sign of
weakness. An experienced soldier can greatly reduce injury or death, especially in
such hostile situations. The incentives to stay might be a little low but I
hope that the people in the service can see the good they can accomplish
(saving fellow soldiers lives) by staying in a few extra years. God Bless and
Support our Troops!
Christopher, Ann Arbor, MI - USA

So now the Pentagon has to bribe their own soldiers into staying on in Iraq?
There's a reason they don't want to be there - cause there is no reason for
them to be there.
Dan Satherley, Hamilton, New Zealand

I believe it is the correct decision. A fighting unit is a team, it functions
most effectively when every member of the team understands the duties and
responsibilities of every other member of the team, as well as his/her own duties
and responsibilities. Changing leaders while deployed would be akin to
replacing the line coach in the middle of the Super Bowl. Professional soldiers
understand this concept. They are not the ones carping here, uninformed civilians
who have no concept of what I describe are the only ones complaining.
Douglas, Lafayette, Louisiana

What is the US government trying to hide? They have not rotated troops
through Iraq as would normally be done; now they are preventing those there from
returning home. And even when they do return home they have to stay in the
barracks for 90 days. Is the US government afraid that the returning troops will
"tell it like it is," which will be different to what the government wants us to
hear?
Tom Payne, Chambery, France

It is far better to have well trained personal there than new recruits
Beryl Deer, Australia
It is far better to have well trained personal there than new recruits. By
all means give them a bonus They are doing a great job and need all the support
we can give.
Beryl Deer, Australia
It is too bad that the US armed forces have to resort this type of method to
keep our folks in the service, this would take on the appearance of holding
them hostage for their own ends, sounds like if some one volunteers to serve for
three years and their tour in the armed forces expires, let them go, if they
want to extend their time that's up to them, not for the government to say
they can't leave. This is wrong.
Alan J. Torr, Moriarty

It is very hard for anyone to stay calm and focused in a stressful war - like
situation for too long. The only thing that helps in a situation like this is
the belief that you are fighting for a moral and just cause, which is clearly
not the case. Where are those WMDs which were used as a pretext of war?
Ahmad, Pakistan

I was in the US Navy I was in the sub force and on two surface ships. I've
seen a lot in the time I was in. I believed that our service members deserve a
hell of a lot more they what they get. They go through hell serving our country
and don't really get much in return. Yes they get paid and all, but the
stress they go through takes years to overcome when they get out. Most of these men
and women are just kids. They are 18-21 years old and i don't care what they
say they are wet behind the ears and put through hell the deserve more.
Timothy b Woods, Warsaw. New York

The US Army is clearly over burdened. This latest decision is a stopgap
response that is ill advised because it violates the volunteer principle under
which the Army personnel entered the system. It also insults these soldiers, and
their colleagues, by offering them a paltry bride. This measure will leave many
soldiers determined to get out of the system, at the first opportunity,
because they now see that they cannot trust that system. More shades of Viet Nam
added to our daily fare.
Alexis Orlov, Virginia, USA

This is a simple but effective way of keeping the experienced people on the
ground rather than introduce new people that may make "learning" mistake and
thus cost lives/greater sums of money. Yes the critics will see it as a sign of
weakness but its just a wise move to keep the strength of experience in the
theatre of operations.
Barry, London, UK

Being in the military, I can understand a need to retain troops in time of
war in order to protect the interests of the nation. However, we are not and
have not been in a REAL war where our interests are at threat. This was a
political war to make a few people look good and to save face after 9-11. Based on
these supposed threats, we should also invade North Korea given that are OPENLY
stating they have WMD.
Dale, San Diego, USA

The leadership training that a soldier receives during a tour of duty is
worth much more than $10,000. The incentive should reflect the value of this
experience in the civilian world.
Kenneth Wiley, New Orleans, LA, USA

I served 21 years in the U.S. Navy and was deployed to Operations Desert
Shield/Desert Storm before retiring in August, 2000. While there are and will
continue to be some upset service members, most accept this as a known component
of their contracts during time of war and will continue to serve fully as the
professionals they are.
Keith Connor, Wasilla, Alaska

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/americas/3371225.stm