[Peace-discuss] sad display on DN

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Wed Jan 14 10:38:05 CST 2004

I (almost) totally agree with you Carl. Perle is a smooth and clever
operator who took the offensive and overwhelmed Krugman's "off the
point" objections. What needed to be said, of course, were that Perle's
assumptions were wrong, that the USA is not the "good guy" ranged
against the "bad guys", and that we shouldn't destroy the world in
order to save it (for a corporate élite), that it is not our right to
rule the world, to prop up some authoritarians and eliminate others.
(On the last item, Perle would no doubt disagree.)

Krugman should have said that might doesn't make right.
Israel/Palestine was omitted from the discussion!

I would only mildly dispute that the U.S. ("conservatives") got all it
wanted in its war on Vietnam. The U.S. was in fact driven out and,
although decimated, Vietnam did become united. Vietnam showed that the
U.S. could be resisted "successfully" under the right conditions.  And
although, like China, Vietnam appears now to be drifting towards the
capitalist camp, it is not totally under the dictates of the IMF, the
World Bank, etc. . It's trying to emerge from its poverty and
isolation. On the other hand, you are right that the U.S. succeeded in
demonstrating, once again, how brutal we could be in suppressing
national tendencies of independence.

Mort