[Peace-discuss] CLARK

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Fri Jan 16 10:40:41 CST 2004

and the shark shows his teeth.

Clark Proposes Anti - Terror Role for NATO
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 11:08 p.m. ET

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) -- Democratic presidential candidate Wesley Clark accused
rival Howard Dean of ``old time politics'' on Wednesday for labeling him a
Republican. Closing the gap with Dean in New Hampshire, Clark also proposed a new
role for NATO in tracking down international terrorists such as Osama bin
Laden.

``George Bush still hasn't finished the job he started,'' said the retired
Army general.

Clark sought to make the most of recent gains in polls showing him moving
within striking distance of front-runner Dean.

Reflecting the tightening race, Dean accused Clark of being a Republican at
heart who once raised money for the Republican party.

Clark said he was flattered by the new attention.

But he told reporters after a national security speech, ``I'm a Democrat.''
He added that, if he won the nomination, he would bring ``a lot of others''
into the party's fold.

Clark, who has been drawing larger crowds at campaign stops across the state
in recent days, outlined a plan he said would improve homeland security and
the war on terror.

``Like many Americans, I've lost faith in our commander in chief,'' Clark
said in prepared remarks. ``He has failed to lead effectively and honestly. And,
every day, Americans live at risk because of his failures.''

Clark vowed to ``take on terrorism, to stomp out the al-Qaida network, and
protect America at home and abroad.''

His plan would broaden the scope of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization to
``help focus worldwide anti-proliferation efforts,'' said Clark, a former
NATO supreme commander who ran the war in Kosovo.

He proposed a NATO ``counterterrorism strike force'' that would also include
Arab, African and Asian troops. ``The strike force's No. 1 mission will be to
seek out, capture and destroy al-Qaida operatives and their associates,'' he
said.

Clark also proposed a $40 billion Homeland Economic Security Fund to create
new jobs ``that will immediately improve our security.''

Clark has suggested that the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks could have been
prevented, and has accused Bush of being too preoccupied with getting Iraq's
Saddam Hussein to do enough to hunt down bin Laden.

Spending most of the week in New Hampshire while most of his rivals toiled in
Iowa, Clark was gaining on Dean, according to several private and independent
polls. Some showed the former Vermont governor's once formidable lead of
around 25 percent at the start of the year down to high single digits.

David Corbin, a political science professor at the University of New
Hampshire, said Clark could even overtake Dean.

``You see an amazing number of Clark signs going up. His crowds are doubling
and tripling. Many people in the Dean camp are now wavering,'' Corbin said.

He compared Clark's surge to that enjoyed in the final days of the 2000 GOP
primary by Sen. John McCain of Arizona, who went on to win the primary,
although he later lost the nomination to George W. Bush.

A poll by the Boston Herald published on Wednesday showed Dean's lead
shrinking to 9 percentage points. Another poll, by the American Research Group, Inc.,
showed Dean with 32 percent support and Clark with 22 percent in the
three-day period that ended Tuesday. Clark, already strong among men, has been gaining
support among older women.

Mo Elleithee, a Clark spokesman, said the polls reflected ``forward
movement'' that was welcome. Still, he cautioned, ``polls are volatile,'' especially in
New Hampshire, in the final days before a primary election. ``It's not going
to change the way we do business,'' he said.

The tightening of the New Hampshire race has injected new energy into Clark's
campaign and prompted Dean, the former governor of Vermont, to revise his
strategy.

Dean, locked in a close four-way fight in Iowa, attacked Clark directly
during a campaign stop in New Hampshire, before heading back to Iowa.

``I think General Clark is a good guy, but I truly believe he's a Republican.
I do. Harry Truman once said if you run a Republican against a Republican,
the Republican's going to win every time,'' Dean said.

``Look, I don't mean offense to General Clark. He is a good guy. And I don't
mind that he voted for Nixon and Reagan. That was a long time ago,'' Dean
said. ``What bothers me is he went out and raised money for the Republican Party
and said great things about Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld and George Bush.''

Asked about Dean's comments, Clark said, ``It's old time politics. That's all
it is.''

Clark is not competing in the kickoff Iowa caucuses on Jan. 19, instead
focusing much of his energy and attention on New Hampshire's Jan. 27 primary.

Clark himself has been drawing the kind of fire from rivals that in the past
had been aimed mainly at Dean. At issue are his position on Iraq, his past
votes for Republican President Reagan, and for recent comments on abortion and
the 2001 terror attacks.

In an interview last week with the Manchester Union Leader, Clark said he
opposed any restriction on abortion, even right up until the last day of a
pregnancy. He also said he would not appoint judges who oppose the right to abortion.

``Life begins with the mother's decision,'' Clark said.

His statement drew condemnations from anti-abortion groups. His campaign
later suggested Clark had not intended to get into a debate over timing.