[Peace-discuss] collateral damage

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Mon Jan 19 17:41:54 CST 2004

and civilian- noncombatant, called collateral damage, deaths and injuries and
ilnesses due to exposures of uranium contamination and other toxuc byproducts
of war continue unabated with increasing frequence while accountability  is
nonexistant...

when will everyopne speak up to stop the slaughter.. each act is making so
called "enemies" for American warriors. But the sad part is their anger is
justified.......

January 19, 2004
Afghanis: U.S. Copter Bombing Kills 11
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 9:24 a.m. ET

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (AP) -- A U.S. helicopter attacked a house in a village
in southern Afghanistan, killing 11 people, four of them children, Afghan
officials said Monday.

There was no immediate comment from the U.S. military.

The attack occurred at around 4 a.m. Sunday, a day after U.S. forces hunting
for Taliban insurgents had searched Saghatho village, where the home is
located, said Abdul Rahman, chief of Char Chino district in Uruzgan province.

``They were simple villagers, they were not Taliban. I don't know why the
U.S. bombed this home. We have informed our authorities,'' he told The Associated
Press by telephone in the southern city of Kandahar.

Maj. Steven R. Moon, a spokesman for the U.S. military in Kabul, had no
immediate comment.

The governor of Uruzgan, Jan Mohammed Khan, confirmed Rahman's account that
four men, four children and three women were killed in a U.S. bombing.

He said U.S. authorities had told him they seen ammunition in their search of
the village, which apparently raised suspicions. During the search, ``the
people were afraid, they started running,'' Khan said.

``The Americans bombed this home,'' he said.

Rahman said the 11 victims were buried Sunday in the village, where residents
were ``very afraid and very angry.''

About 100 Afghan forces and between 20 and 30 U.S. soldiers have arrested 10
suspects in an operation in the Mahmara and Saghatho areas of Char Chino
district in the past two days, he said.