[Peace-discuss] Iraqis Want Saddam's Old US Friends on Trial

Morton K.Brussel brussel at staff.uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 20 20:08:57 CST 2004

The Iraqis know the story, why Saddam is being held as a prisoner of
war, and why he in unlikely to be put on public trial.

Published on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 by Reuters

Iraqis Want Saddam's Old US Friends on Trial

by Michael Georgy

BAGHDAD - If Iraqis ever see Saddam Hussein on trial, they want his
former American allies shackled beside him.

"Saddam should not be the only one who is put on trial. The Americans
backed him when he was killing Iraqis so they should be prosecuted,"
said Ali Mahdi, a builder.

"If the Americans escape justice they will face God's justice. They
must be stoned in hell."

The United States continued to feel the backlash of its move to give
Saddam prisoner of war status Tuesday as thousands of Iraqi protesters
called for his execution.

Washington's move has thrown some doubt over his fate after Iraq's
U.S.-backed Governing Council had said Saddam would be tried in a
special tribunal by Iraqi judges.

His POW status means the former dictator, accused of sending thousands
of Iraqis to mass graves, could have more rights than a war criminal.

In street interviews, Iraqis said Saddam must be tried by an Iraqi
court prepared to hand down the death penalty and examine his ties to
past U.S. governments.

The United States backed Saddam in his war with Iran in the 1980s.
During that time, he also gassed an estimated 5,000 Kurds to death in
the village of Halabja.

A few years later Washington began branding Saddam a tyrant and an
enemy after his troops invaded oil-rich Kuwait in 1990.

"Saddam was a top graduate of the American school of politics," said
Assad al-Saadi, standing with friends in the slum of Sadr city,
formerly called Saddam City, a Shi'ite Muslim area oppressed by
Saddam's security agents.

"My brother was an army officer who was executed. Saddam is a criminal
and the Americans were his friends. We need justice so that we can
forget the past."

Saddam was captured on December 13 hiding in a hole near his hometown
of Tikrit. A month later the United States declared him a prisoner of
war.

But his new POW status has only added to skepticism about American
promises after toppling Saddam in April.

"The Americans and Saddam should face justice. Do you really think the
Americans are going to put themselves on trial?" said Ali, a
U.S.-trained policeman.

"Of course we hope the Americans and Saddam will face trial. But will
it ever happen? I doubt it."