[Peace-discuss] Arundhati roy speaks

Morton K. Brussel brussel at uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 22 16:06:36 CST 2004

Below is an excerpt. The full speech given at the World Social Forum in
India is to be found at

MKB

…
If all of us are indeed against imperialism and against the project of
neoliberalism, then let's turn our gaze on Iraq. Iraq is the inevitable
culmination of both. Plenty of antiwar activists have retreated in
confusion since the capture of Saddam Hussein. Isn't the world better
off without Saddam Hussein? they ask timidly.

Let's look this thing in the eye once and for all. To applaud the US
Army's capture of Saddam Hussein, and therefore in retrospect justify
its invasion and occupation of Iraq, is like deifying Jack the Ripper
for disemboweling the Boston Strangler. And that after a
quarter-century partnership in which the Ripping and Strangling was a
joint enterprise. It's an in-house quarrel. They're business partners
who fell out over a dirty deal. Jack's the CEO.

So if we are against imperialism, shall we agree that we are against
the US occupation and that we believe the United States must withdraw
from Iraq and pay reparations to the Iraqi people for the damage that
the war has inflicted?

How do we begin to mount our resistance? Let's start with something
really small. The issue is not aboutsupporting the resistance in Iraq
against the occupation or discussing who exactly constitutes the
resistance. (Are they old killer Baathists, are they Islamic
fundamentalists?)

We have to become the global resistance to the occupation.

Our resistance has to begin with a refusal to accept the legitimacy of
the US occupation of Iraq. …