[Peace-discuss] kerry and vets

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Sat Jan 24 17:45:17 CST 2004

The question is whether or not he will stop this madness.

Kerry Rallies Veterans for Support
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 8:07 p.m. ET

MANCHESTER, N.H.(AP) -- Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry on
Friday sought to energize fellow veterans, enlisting the help of two decorated
former military men and assailing Bush administration policies to service members.

Surging in the polls and looking to maintain his momentum, the Massachusetts
senator also picked up the endorsement of former Vice President Walter
Mondale, the Democratic Party's 1984 nominee, who called Kerry ``the strongest
candidate to win and this is going to be a very tough race for Democrats.''

Mondale knows about tough contests. He suffered a decisive loss to Ronald
Reagan in 1984, losing the electoral vote 525-13.

Kerry's momentum was continuing to build over the weekend. He's scheduled to
receive the formal endorsement of the League of Conservation Voters on
Saturday during an event in Concord.

``John Kerry is a man whose unparalleled record on environmental issues has
earned him an extraordinary rating,'' league president Deb Callahan said in
prepared remarks.

Most of the major Democratic candidates, as well as Kerry, tout their
positions on the environment and blast Bush on the issue. The League of Conservation
Voters will be the first major environmental group to endorse one of the
Democrats.

In a rally packed with celebrity veterans, Kerry argued Friday that the tough
talk coming from the Bush administration masks an indifference to the real
needs of veterans.

The campaign released a letter Kerry wrote to Defense Secretary Donald
Rumsfeld warning that thousands of soldiers on active duty must wait for health
care, even as the largest rotation of U.S forces is under way.

``There is nothing more important than the care and well-being of our
troops,'' Kerry said in the letter. ``They have earned this care and we must not fail
them.''

Kerry spoke to several hundred backers at a rally featuring South Carolina
Sen. Ernest Hollings, a World War II veteran who endorsed Kerry on Thursday, and
former Georgia Sen. Max Cleland, a triple amputee and decorated veteran of
the Vietnam War.

Kerry argues that his record as a decorated veteran gives him the credibility
to challenge President Bush on national security issues, a position he played
to the hilt on Friday.

``He's been here, done that and gotten a few holes in his T-shirt,'' Cleland
said.

Pentagon officials have warned that with the massive deployment of troops,
Veterans Administration medical facilities will be strained. Kerry said that up
to 40,000 veterans are already in line for health services and that problems
were bound to grow worse with the deployment in Iraq.

``We need to renew our promise to keep faith with America's veterans, and it
needs to start now,'' he said.

Hollings touted his decades of service in the Senate with Kerry and took a
veiled swipe at the only other candidate who served in the military, retired
Army Gen. Wesley Clark.

``We're going to teach that fellow in South Carolina that there are more
lieutenants than there are generals,'' Hollings said.

Clark had caused a minor campaign flap when we referred to Kerry as a junior
officer not involved in serious policy issues.

Hollings dismissed worries that Kerry won't fare well in the South.

``We took South Carolina for Kennedy, don't worry about it,'' Hollings said.

Kerry skipped his normal stump speech for an emotion-driven remembrance of
his days in uniform. He said real patriotism is far different from simply waving
the flag.

``The first definition of patriotism is keeping faith with those who have
worn the uniform of the country,'' he said.

Cleland opened a three-day swing around New Hampshire for Kerry, while Kerry
settled into a routine of retail politicking on the final weekend before the
leadoff New Hampshire primary on Tuesday.

At his veterans event, Kerry complained that arcane laws essentially force
disabled veterans to sacrifice a portion of their pension, pledging to rectify
that inequity.

``Effectively, veterans are paying for their own pensions,'' he said.

He was referring to the 19th century policy of reducing disabled veterans'
retirement benefits by $1 for every dollar received in disability pay. President
Bush signed legislation partially reversing that policy, implementing a
change that would be phased in over 10 years and mainly help the more seriously
disabled -- about a quarter-million veterans. It will cost $22 billion.

^------

Associated Press Writer Brian Bakst in St. Paul, Minn., contributed to this
report. .