[Peace-discuss] Preserving Iowa and Nebraska from terrorism

Chuck Minne mincam2 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 6 13:03:32 CDT 2004

Fahrenheit' Banned in Iowa Theaters for Inciting Terrorism

Sun, Jul 04, 2004, 11:07 AM PT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Despite expanding its run to 1,710 screens nationwide, "Fahrenheit 9/11" won't be shown at select theaters in Iowa.
R.L. Fridley, the president of the Des-Moines-based Fridley Theatres in Iowa and Nebraska, is refusing to show the incendiary documentary, claiming it incites terrorism, reports the AP.

"Fahrenheit" is a highly critical look at President George W. Bush's connections with high-ranking Saudi families, including Osama Bin Laden, and questions his actions and motivations regarding the war in Iraq.

In an email to his company managers, Fridley stated that the company does not "play political propaganda films from either the right or the left."

The message also continues to state, "Our country is in a war against an enemy who would destroy our way of life, our culture and kill our people. These barbarians have shown through (the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001) and the recent beheadings that they will stop at nothing. I believe this film emboldens them and divides our country even more."

"Fahrenheit" won best picture at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival in May and held the top spot at the box office on its opening weekend, breaking numerous records.

“Don’t show the truth, its divisive and hurts unity. Attack Michael Moore instead.” –  A "reasoned" right-wing response to Fahrenheit 9/11.

http://mail.yahoo.com