[Peace-discuss] Absolute knowledge, lies, and delusion

ppatton at uiuc.edu ppatton at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 21 17:58:44 CDT 2004

Published on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 by CommonDreams.org
Science and Human Values: On the Road to Auschwitz
by Michael Gilmore

Hauntingly on target for the current administration in the
White House are the words of Jacob Bronowski, the scientist-
philosopher who brought us his popular television series, The
Ascent of Man, just thirty years ago.

He spoke the following words to the camera while standing in
the human ashes at Auschwitz:

“There are two parts to the human dilemma. One is the belief
that the end justifies the means. That push-button
philosophy, that deliberate deafness to suffering, has become
the monster in the war machine. The other is the betrayal of
the human spirit: the assertion of dogma that closes the
mind, and turns a nation, a civilisation, into a regiment of
ghosts - obedient ghosts, or tortured ghosts.

It is said that science will dehumanize people and turn them
into numbers. That is false, tragically false. Look for
yourself. This is the concentration camp and crematorium at
Auschwitz. This is where people were turned into numbers.
Into this pond were flushed the ashes of some four million
people. And that was not done by gas. It was done by
arrogance. It was done by dogma. It was done by ignorance.
When people believe that they have absolute knowledge, with
no test in reality, this is how they behave. This is what men
do when they aspire to the knowledge of gods.”

Then, returning home, he stated:

“We must not perish by the distance between people and
government, between people and power...that distance can only
be...closed, if knowledge sits in the homes and heads of
people with no ambition to control others, and not up in the
isolated seats of power.”

Watergate, and Vietnam were in the air as Bronowski spoke of
science and civilization. Bronowski provided valuable
perspective having lost family in the Holocaust, and having
walked the ruins of Nagasaki shortly after the atomic bombing
of that city in 1945. Bronowski worried about the direction
we were taking toward pseudoscience as well as the integrity
of science and government- the very problems we have right
now.

Some in the White House today believe that they “have
absolute knowledge, with no test in reality.” Why, God even
talks to them. The administration’s “absolute knowledge” has
been the basis of many of their claims, including: the
weapons of mass destruction, the Hussein-al Qaeda link, the
Hussein-9/11 link, and the evidence for the uranium from
Africa to Iraq. Such “absolute knowledge” ensured that the
Iraqi people would welcome our solders and establish a
secular democracy. Such knowledge never existed.
This “absolute knowledge” now provides for the Bush “faith-
based” missile defense, to be deployed prior to testing. It
appears that this sort of pseudoknowledge is a key ingredient
for much of what the present administration has set itself to
do. With such “knowledge” the road to Baghdad is becoming our
road to Auschwitz. A road paved with arrogance, dogma,
secrecy, ignorance, lies, and a “deliberate deafness to
suffering.” The suffering shown so starkly in the haunting
photos of the torture at Abu Ghraib.

The administration’s patterns of behavior are counter to the
core elements of our constitution: justice, liberty, church-
state separation, religious freedom, freedom of speech, the
press, assembly, and privacy. These were placed there, in
part, as bulwark against such political dangers as theocratic
rule, deception, and lies. It seems the administration is the
most secretive in our history. With such secrecy, it will not
be easy for the people to plumb the depth to which we have
been deceived.

The “absolute knowledge” of Bush and company is also central
to the erosion of the integrity of science in the US. Leading
scientists now see a pattern of distortion and suppression of
science by top political appointees of Mr. Bush. This pattern
involves a number of federal agencies and is corrupting the
practice of good scientific counsel in government. Many areas
of science have been impacted. They range from air pollution
to reproductive health, and from drug development to stem
cell research. The practice of international science is also
taking a beating with mindless restrictions on the travel of
scientists and science students. America has long
been “science-central” for researchers across the globe. This
has always been to America’s great benefit. But now America
is becoming less hospitable to the international scientific
community.

Government and science were once secretive activities
controlled and funded by kings and cardinals. Being the
political leaders of their day, they understood that
knowledge is power. The Scientific Revolution and the
American Revolution changed all that. It is no accident that
the leaders of both these revolutions were strongly linked.
In some cases they were the same individuals. Jefferson and
Franklin considered themselves scientists. The Constitution
and the Bill of Rights are rational agreements to keep
information, indeed knowledge, free to all the people. Modern
science is also done in the open, published for all to see.
It is open to examination for accuracy, error, and truth. Our
form of government and our science are self-correcting
processes. They are both designed with the idea that we are
fallible and that there is no absolute knowledge.

Corrupting the truth, corrupting government, and corrupting
science have much in common. Such crimes are done in secret,
and are done with lies. The current administration is doing
this with considerable zeal. What a tragedy if we choose
lies, dogma, secrecy, and superstition. They are the
cobblestones for the road to Abu Ghraib, the road to
Auschwitz, the road to hell.

Near the end of his television program, Bronowski stated “We
are nature’s unique experiment to make the rational
intelligence prove itself sounder than the reflex.” This
means, contrary to Mr. Bush, that we think with our brains,
and not with our gut. That we use introspection, that we have
doubts, that we change our minds, that we admit error, and
that we tell the truth. These are critical human values.
These are the values vital to the best administration of our
Constitution, our Bill of Rights, and our science.

Mr. Bush, you might be surprised to learn that Bronowski, an
agnostic Jew, chose your favorite philosopher, Jesus Christ,
as a primary hero of that "age-old conflict between
intellectual leadership and civil authority." This is the
very conflict that I write of here, today. Well, Mr. Bush,
what would Jesus do? You might find his “tortured ghost” at
Abu Ghraib, and ask him. You might also find the ghost of
Jacob Bronowski, still standing in human ashes, beseeching
you to think it possible that you are mistaken.

Michael Gilmore (mrgilmore at mac.com), a physicist who has
worked on the space program, is a Fellow of the British
Interplanetary Society.

###
Dr. Paul Patton
Research Scientist
Beckman Institute  Rm 3027  405 N. Mathews St.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  Urbana, Illinois 61801
work phone: (217)-265-0795   fax: (217)-244-5180
home phone: (217)-344-5812
homepage: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ppatton/index.html

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.  It is the
source of all true art and science."
-Albert Einstein