[Peace-discuss] AWARE table

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Mon Jul 26 20:01:34 CDT 2004

Hmmm..... Letters to the editor using AWARE's name and admiring the bright yellow signs which say REGIME CHANGE BEGINS AT HOME, VOTE OUT BUSH - CHANEY.  Displaying, selling, taking orders for the same signs @ the AWARE table.... I'd call that a position, wouldn't you?  It's certaining different from PEACE IS PATRIOTIC, UNITED FOR PEACE, NO IRAQ WAR, etc

Jenifer C.
Jenifer,

The point is that AWARE doesn't have "a position."

>No argument  re Nader votes losing IL to Bush, Carl.   Many voters
>are concerned about the Nader effect in the non-safe states, afraid
>that Nader votes could throw the election to Bush (again?!?!)  I've
>heard that the Greens rejected Nader this time around (obviously)
>and, unlike Nader, are encouraging voters in non-safe states to vote
>Democratic, which seems in keeping w/ AWARE's position...
>
>Jenifer C.
>But Illinois will vote Democratic in the presidential election.  And
>many people are troubled about Kerry's not being an anti-war
>candidate.  As residents of a "safe" Democratic state, we're free to
>vote for a candidate opposed to the war on terrorism and pre-emptive
>war.  Illinois' electoral votes will end up in Kerry's column
>anyway.  I'm sure many in AWARE (like me) will vote for Nader or
>Cobb.  --CGE
>

>On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, jencart wrote:
>
>>  ...If we're displaying and selling yard signs (hot item, lotsa orders)
>>  that say VOTE OUT BUSH - CHANEY it seems appropriate to discuss how to
>>  actually accomplish this, there being only one way to do this, which
>>  is not really an endorsement of a particular candidate either...

Al Kagan
African Studies Bibliographer and Professor of Library Administration Africana Unit, Room 328
University of Illinois Library
1408 W. Gregory Drive
Urbana, IL 61801, USA

tel. 217-333-6519