[Peace-discuss] new pamphlet

Alfred Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Sat Jul 31 12:25:17 CDT 2004

Here is the text of the new pamphlet that Susan
and I put together.  I will bring some formatted
copies to the meeting tomorrow.

"Next the statesmen will invent cheap lies,
putting the blame upon the nation that is
attacked, and every man will be glad of those
conscience-soothing falsities, and will
diligently study them, and refuse to examine any
refutations of them; and thus he will by and by
convince himself that the war is just, and will
thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after
this process of grotesque self-deception."
Mark Twain, 1916

This pamphlet is an attempt to summarize American
foreign policy during the Bush II Administration.
It explains its ideological origin in the Project
for the New American Century in the 1990s, the
rationale as opposed to the reality of the
Afghanistan and Iraq Wars, how US policy actually
creates more terrorism, and the reality of racism
at home and abroad. It discusses further "regime
change" around the world and concludes with four
major points.  We hope that it will help people
understand how and why the current policies are
so dangerous for the world and for our way of
life.

Contrary to what we are told by newspapers and
television, US foreign-policy goals are not the
extension of democracy and freedom, but global
political and economic domination. For more than
a century, our government and military maintained
an empire, using force to insure profits and
power for US corporations and their transnational
partners. A key goal is to keep the world's oil,
gas, and other natural resources accessible to US
interests.  Since the fall of the Soviet Union
and the end of the Cold War, the world's only
military superpower has alternately negotiated
with and manipulated the wealthier European
countries, Japan, and China to this same end.
Historically, attempts by poorer countries to
control their own economic and political
destinies have been met with US subversion,
including what we now call "regime change." For
example, the US seized Cuba and the Philippines
in 1898, invaded Central American countries
dozens of times in the 20th century, and helped
overthrow the governments of Iran and Guatemala
in 1953, and Chile in 1973. In pursuit of
economic dominance, the United States has
established hundreds of military bases around the
globe. Today, as the world has become more
petroleum dependent, the Middle East and Central
Asia are the focus of empire building.

Project for the New American Century.
The US long drive for global power has shifted
into high gear since the end of the Cold War.
Policy radicals have advocated "preemptive war"
to maintain US preeminence. In the late 1990s, a
small group who have now become powerful in the
Bush Administration, including Dick Cheney,
Donald Rumsfeld, Paul Wolfowitz, Elliot Abrams,
and George Bush's brother, Jeb, founded the
Project for the New American Century.  They
called on the US to discourage advanced
industrial nations from challenging our
leadership or "Ševen aspiring to a larger
regional or global role." According to the
Project's website, shaping a century favorable to
American interest requires a military build-up
and "a foreign policy that boldly and
purposefully promotes American principles
abroad." In other words, the US must be more
aggressive abroad and less respectful of  the
interests of other nations. The Project argued
that "American policy cannot continue to be
crippled by misguided insistence on unanimity in
the UN Security Council"
(http://www.newamericancentury.org/index.html).

As a first step, the Project forecast the need to
overthrow the regime of former US ally, and CIA
asset, Saddam Hussein and occupy Iraq. They hoped
to assure access to "a significant portion of the
world's oil supply."

September 11th and the Afghan War.
Cabinet members Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Wolfowitz
got their way immediately following the terrorist
attack of September 11, 2001. As we know from
insiders like Richard Clarke, they began
planning for a war on Iraq on Sept. 12th.
Meanwhile,  George Bush ordered the bombing of
Afghanistan, with the stated purposes of killing
Osama bin Laden, annihilating the Taliban, and
establishing democracy. None of these missions
have been accomplished. Warlords in place before
the Taliban government are back in power.  The
opium trade, nearly eliminated under the Taliban,
is flourishing, and the position of women has
changed little outside the capital, Kabul. As far
as we know, bin Laden is still alive. The
so-called "war on terrorism" has been used to
frighten people into support for preemptive wars
rather than actually address the basis of the
very real threats. (Richard Clarke, Against All
Enemies, 2004).

But the Bush administration did accomplish its
real goals: control of an economically critical
region, a route for a new oil pipeline, and US
military bases in Afghanistan.  New US military
installations in Pakistan, Uzbekistan,
Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan
and Georgia, encircle the Caspian Sea oil
reserves and pose a direct challenge to Russian
and Chinese interests in the region.

War Against Iraq.
The most important test case of preemptive war to
secure United States interests has been the war
on Iraq.  It was justified by bold claims that
Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction
and Iraq had close ties to the al Qaeda network.
Senate reports have now shown these arguments for
war to be false.  Searching for a rationale, the
Bush Administration argued that overthrowing
Saddam would bring American-style democracy to
the people of Iraq, foster peace and democracy in
the entire Middle East, and help to solve the
Israel/Palestine conflict.

In fact, regime change in Iraq was designed to
create a long-term US military and economic
presence. Four new bases and a gigantic "embassy"
in Baghdad add to an overwhelming military
capacity  in the region. The US already has bases
in Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman, United Arab
Emirates, Turkey, Egypt, Israel and Djibouti, as
well as in the Central Asian countries mentioned
above. (Chalmers Johnson, Sorrows of Empire, page
242).

Racism and the Creation of Terrorism.
US imperial strategy in Iraq is creating enormous
rage and unrest across the Middle East. The
"hand-over of power" on June 28, 2004, has not
created democracy, but stringent martial law and
the restriction of civil liberties.  The transfer
of power itself is a fig leaf for continued US
occupation.  US troops are risking their lives to
protect the construction and petroleum
concessions of American corporations, signed into
Iraqi law in early 2004.

The war has given rise to upheaval that Middle
Eastern leaders are finding difficult to control.
It is likely that the United States' war on Iraq
has created more terrorists, as we hear daily of
strikes against American military and corporate
targets throughout the region. One of the most
disastrous results has been the intensification
of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, in part
because it gave Israel license to build its
Separation Wall, and in effect annex more
territory. Middle Eastern people see a double
standard between the treatment of Muslim and
Christian Arabs, and Western people.  At home,
minorities and poor people are disproportionately
hurt by the war. African Americans and Latinos
are over-represented in the military and they
suffer most when money is diverted from domestic
spending to the ballooning costs of the war.

More Regime Change.
US support for the spring 2004 coup in Haiti is
another example of regime change.  Overthrow of
the democratically-elected government of
Jean-Bertrand Aristide explodes the argument that
the United States fosters the self-determination
of people who practice electoral democracy.
Although Haiti is the poorest country in the
hemisphere, its independent policies were still
seen as a threat to United States interests.  It
would be naive to assume that this aggressive
policy will stop with Afghanistan, Iraq and
Haiti, especially when George Bush regularly
threatens Cuba, Venezuela, Iran, Syria and North
Korea, all countries that dare to resist US
control of their destinies.

Conclusion: Continuous War?
The Bush Adminstration's Plan for the New
American Century is a radical departure from the
past.  With the Soviet Union gone, the United
States has moved to remake the world for its own
purposes.  We conclude with four points: first,
it is impossible that the United States and its
aggressive new posture will not meet resistance
from new economic superpowers like China and the
European Union. Thus, America's policy may cause
more intense conflicts in the future.  Second, it
is unlikely that the aggrieved and suffering
peoples of the Middle East will accept United
States direction of their futures. Third, the
American "war on terror" is a pretext for
preemptive war to extend empire.  Finally, there
cannot be a war on terror without "blowback,"
unpredictable reactions to aggression. Further
attacks within the US are likely unless the
people force their government to change its
policies and actions.  A positive first step
would be immediate withdrawal of all troops from
Iraq.

"We must make clear to the German that the wrong
for which their fallen leaders are on trial is
not that they lost the war, but that they started
it. And we must not allow ourselves to be drawn
into a trail of the causes of the war, for our
position is that no grievances or policies will
justify resort to aggressive war. It is utterly
renounced and condemned as an instrument of
policy."
Robert L. Jackson, Chief U.S. Prosecutor, Nuremberg Tribunals, 1945

AWARE
Anti-War Anti-Racism Effort
----------------------------

American Foreign Policy: Spreading Democracy or Imposing Empire?

------------------------------------
You are invited.  We meet every Sunday, 5 to 7
p.m. at the Independent Media Center, 218 W. Main
St., downtown Urbana, 217-384-0299, aware at grex.org
http://www.anti-war.net

--

Al Kagan