[Peace-discuss] Operation Democracy Now!

Evan Past epastreich at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 2 20:13:19 CDT 2004

Operation Democracy Now

There are three aspects of the campaign that need to
be carried out simultaneously: 1) introducing
Democracy Now to a wide audience in the area; 2)
setting up a sophisticated network for alternative
news in the UC area; 3) demanding that Democracy Now
be aired at a reasonable time right here. All three
must be pursued in parallel.

First, we need to spread the word about Democracy Now
to average citizens. Go to Parkland College, go to
churches, go to clubs, U of I campus. Give out a page
detailing why Democracy Now is the alternative. Give
concrete examples of how NPR is failing, and perhaps
copies of the articles describing how NPR is being
gutted right now.  Many who might watch DN right now
have simply never heard of it, and there are plenty
starving for the truth out there who do not know where
to look. Make sure people get on DN mailing list. It
is easy to access their page and get summaries of top
stories in this manner. Hand out information to
everyone. Be completely sincere about the issue.

I honestly think we should work like Mormons. Get
groups of two with a hand out about the quality of the
media and the truth about this country. Carve up the
map and go door to door to door.

Start demanding that Democracy Now be shown at public
places--that it be offered at the Illini Union, etc.
Get prominent people to write letters of support.

Second, find out exactly what is being used to
pressure UPTV. If they are having their funding
threatened, get that fact and spread it around. Make
the whole matter a public issue. If they will not tell
you what the problem is, make that a public issue as
well.

Third, put the pressure on UPTV from all sides.
Consult with DN as to what strategies have worked in
other regions facing similar opposition.
Contact representatives, organizations, etc.

Make a case for why having DN will help the community.
Lack of such programming hurts the desirability of
this area. Contrast with other places who have adopted
DN.

Get individuals to offer gifts to WILL/ UPTV
contingent on showing DN. I would bet you could get a
big chunk of $20,000 or more from people on this
contingency. That is a carrot.

You can also get people to threaten to stop giving if
DN is not shown. That is the stick. It is also a bit
rougher than some are willing to be, but personally, I
think it is entirely legitimate.

Make up a petition. First introduce DN to people on
the street or door to door,then get them to sign
petitions. Make it clear to them that NPR is being
torn apart for political reasons right now.

Get articles on the subject published in local press.

But ultimately we are talking about a campaign for a
reliable source for information in the area. A TV
channel with real broadcasts of news, a second
newspaper, and networks for e-mail and door to door
information. Demand that useful magazines are sold at
supermarkets, etc. Those ambitious plans should be
combined to make this whole matter bigger than the sum
of its parts. Getting accurate information is a
national crisis. Some people just need someone to
explain the situation to them.