[Peace-discuss] Moore on Israel (fwd)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 24 10:21:14 CDT 2004

[From an interview with Michael Moore in the LA Times, June 22. Apparently
Moore has indeed missed the brutal, racist and murderous occupation, now
in its 37th year -- impossible without US support -- and that Israeli
democracy resembles that of apartheid South Africa.  But he does get the
motive right for USG (not just Republican) support. --CGE]

Q: You make the point that the Bush administration has a
special relationship with the Saudis. How is that any
different from the special relationship many Washington
leaders have with the state of Israel?

Moore: One big difference is that Israel is a democracy and
Saudi Arabia is a brutal dictatorship. They celebrated New
Year's Day a few years ago by chopping people's heads off.
Maybe I missed that when it happened in Israel. Anyway, the
support Bush and the Republicans feign for Israel is because
Israel is near our oil. If the oil wasn't there, I bet those
same Republicans wouldn't [care] about Israel."