[Peace-discuss] Re: Fahrenheit 9/11 notes

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Tue Jun 29 09:34:11 CDT 2004

[Robert-- Various hesitations have been expressed about Moore's film
(notably those from Jeff-NO on the Prairiegreens list), but I must say
that it seems to have the virtue of starting discussions rather than
stopping them.  On race matters, one of the best comments I've seen came
from an acquaintance on another list -- here appended.  Regards, Carl]

...You wanted a different film altogether. You do not want a movie about
why George Bush and his ilk need to be flushed down the toilet bowl of
history. You want a movie that is about American imperialism and a movie
about how the u.s. citizenry are the beneficiaries of imperialism. You
also seem to want a film that is about how Lila ought to ignore the 50%
unemployment rate in Flint because she is far better off than any Iraqi
ever imagined being. Stop pitying yourself lady and buy an errant klew:
things ain't so bad.

Good luck winning over the u.s. masses. I took my kids and his friends
from the old hood to see that film. You have never seen five young black
men filled with recognition. someone told their story! someone showed, on
film, with all kinds of people "getting it" --white people!--getting it.
in the theater. white people laughing uproariously at the two idiot
recruiters.  can you imagine what it was like for them to have THEIR story
told for a change in an audience that revealed that they are on their
side?

afterward, they recounted story after story about how these recruiters try
to sell them a bill of goods. they replayed over and over how those two
guys in the parking lot responded. you know what they saw? heh. oh lawdy,
they were so funny, I wish I could have taped it and loaded it up on the
'net for you to hear. As we drive home, _I_ about wet myself. These kids
put words in the mouths of the two young men that had to endure the
recruiting mofos attempt to "connect." DP, I need to hook you up with T,
he's got the stuff for stand up!

Lila Lipscomb's family is _their_ family. They live in multi-racial
families. They know what it's like to few choices. They know what it's
like to play b-ball on broken down courts or in the street.

Last weekend, they saw something about them. It opened with a story about
them--the CBC being humiliated on the Senate floor and it ended with a
story about them--"their mother" who might one day be bawling her eyes out
for their brother, sister, cousin, father, uncle, aunt...

	***