[Peace-discuss] Fwd: [ANSWER] Oppose Bush's Coup in Haiti

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Mon Mar 1 12:09:57 CST 2004

Here's one view of what has transpired in Haiti. The situation seems
akin to that which occurred in Venezuela, when Chavez was said to have
resigned. Now, Aristide is said to have resigned and the NYT quotes
from his letter of resignation. On the other hand, interviews aired on
"Democracy Now"  imply that he did not resign, but rather was forced
out, even "kidnapped". Since the media to which we have access are
largely in cahoots with the U.S. (and French) administration, it is
well to be skeptical about present reports; we'll have to let the dust
settle to find out the "truth". In view of the characters who led the
insurgency, former disbanded military, many acknowledged to have
committed human rights violations in former régimes, and the waiting
game played by the U.S. , I tend to believe that what we have here is
another U.S. inspired coup.

Notwithstanding how bad or good Aristide was, it is clear that he was
up against U.S. administrations, who since 1994 strangled the country
economically. He clearly has been demonized; to what extent he deserves
blame for what has happened is a matter that needs unbiased evaluation,
--hard to come by.

MKB

Begin forwarded message: