[Peace-discuss] HUGE Rally to Eliminate "Chief Illiniwek" -- 3/10 at 8pm (fwd)

Brooke Anderson brooke at shout.net
Wed Mar 3 13:02:04 CST 2004

Rally to Eliminate "Chief Illiniwek"
on the eve of the Board of Trustees Meeting
Wednesday, March 10th from 8p.m.
    --> Please note new time, 8p.m. <--
on the South Patio of the Student Union, UIUC Quad

Dear friends,

Please join us for a HUGE Rally to Eliminate "Chief Illiniwek" on the
eve of the March 11th Board of Trustees meeting on the
Urbana-Champaign campus. The rally will be Wednesday, March 10th at
8:00p.m. on the South Patio of the Student Union on the UIUC Quad.

Despite mounting local, statewide, and national pressure to drop the
racist mascot of the University of Illinois, the U of I Board of
Trustees has refused to put this issue on their agenda for the
upcoming meeting. Please join us for a rally to get this issue back
on their agenda, and force a vote to ban the "Chief"!! We have the
power to do this and with your help, we will!!

Speakers will include:
-- Charlene Teters, founder of the anti-"Chief" movement
-- Leonard Malatare, Native American Educational Services College
-- and many others!

Following the rally, the Native communities from Chicago and C-U will
be sponsoring an all night anti-"Chief" vigil on the Quad. On on the
following morning, Thursday, March 11th, please make plans to attend
the Board of Trustees meeting at 8:30a.m. in the Pine Lounge of the
Student Union to demand a vote against "Chief Illiniwek."

These events are part of the Month of Anti-"Chief" Action
co-sponsored by over a dozen local organizations. To dowload the full
calendar of events for the month, please visit
http://www.prairienet.org/prc/PRCARCHIVES/2004/Calendar.1.pdf.

For more information, please contact the Progressive Resource/Action
Cooperative (PRC) ay (217) 352-8721 or email prc at prairienet.org.

Sincerely,
The PRC
--