[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace-action] Kerry support premature

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Thu Mar 4 11:31:34 CST 2004

Amen! to the sentiments of Ricky.

But one should not get carried away and vote for "none of the above".
As many have pointed out, although there are many alliances and
affinities between (Kerry-like) Democrats and (Bush) Republicans, there
are nonetheless  important differences between them: in ourt
appointees,  fundamentalism and religiosity, gender issues,
environmental issues, governmental appointees, the degree of
militarization, and others.

The main point is that we are perhaps at a critical juncture in
history, and in any way to promote, directly or indirectly, the
election of George Bush would be narrow-minded and oblivious to what is
happening around us. That would be the case in refusing to vote for the
only alternative we have at present, a Kerry administration.

We have to work for an inflection in the direction of our national
policies in the present situation; a discontinuous leftward shift in
those policies is not now realizable.

Perhaps an apocalypse is needed to change the system, to allow the
emergence of a better political system, but I for one don't want to
live through it, nor do I wish my grandchildren to live through it. We
have to live with improvements on the margins of what our ideals would
desire. If the stakes were not now so obviously high, I could vote for
Nader (as I did before) or someone else who aspires to the same ideals,
but that is not the case with which we are confronted.

My two cents: MKB