[Peace-discuss] proposed change: WEFT underwriting message

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 7 14:51:12 CST 2004

OK, based on the feedback I received (from Mort and Al), here is a second
pass (keeping original wording at the top, but taking out "corporate
globalization" and "consolidation of news sources" and keeping everything
else). This comes out at about 40 seconds (a few seconds shorter than the
current message), which is closer to WEFT's originally requested 20-30
seconds.

------------------------
Wednesday's "Democracy Now!" is supported in part by the listeners of
W-E-F-T and by AWARE, a local group of progressive, concerned citizens
acting together to promote peace and justice. AWARE addresses issues of:

- war
- racism
- militarization of society
- inequalities of wealth and opportunity
- the global extension of American power
- the demise of internationally agreed norms of behavior
- and the erosion of civil liberties.

AWARE meets Sundays 5-7pm at the Independent Media Center, 218 W. Main St.
in Urbana. All are welcome to attend! AWARE is also on the web at
anti-war.net .

------------------------

: For the last 6 months, AWARE has been underwriting "Democracy Now!" on
WEFT
: ($208 for those 6 months). This underwriting is up for renewal now. The
last
: message is next Wednesday, March 10.
:
: Here is the current message:
: ------------------------
: Wednesday's "Democracy Now!" is supported in part by the listeners of
: W-E-F-T and by AWARE, a local group of progressive, concerned citizens
: acting together to promote peace and justice. AWARE addresses issues of:
:
: - war
: - racism
: - militarization of society
: - inequalities of wealth and opportunity
: - consolidation of news sources
: - global extension of American power
: - the demise of internationally agreed norms of behavior
: - corporate globalization
: - and the erosion of civil liberties.
:
: AWARE meets Sundays 5-7pm at the Independent Media Center, 218 W. Main St.
: in Urbana. All are welcome to attend! AWARE is also on the web at
: anti-war.net .
: ------------------------
: As discussed at the last AWARE meeting, opinions were expressed that our
: full name should be included and that perhaps some of our interests that
are
: itemized in the message should be cut (since we are already over their
: requested time limit and also to make it more digestible). I'm not
: comfortable making the cut choices by myself (this could be a sensitive
: issue). Also, no one really stepped forward to help me with that at the
: meeting, so I'm throwing out a proposal on the list to see if there is any
: feedback. We can also discuss this at the next meeting as well.
:
: So, here's a first pass, adding in our full name, but rewording a bit and
: taking out two of the itemized issues - "the demise of internationally
: agreed norms of behavior" (the longest wording) and "militarization of
: society" (which overlaps with "war" and "global extension of American
power"
: to some extent). This preserves the same read time (about 43 seconds).
: ------------------------
: Wednesday's "Democracy Now!" is supported in part by the listeners of
: W-E-F-T and by AWARE, the Anti-War Anti-Racism Effort. AWARE is a local
: group of progressive, concerned citizens acting together to promote peace
: and justice. AWARE also addresses other issues beyond war and racism,
: including:
:
: - consolidation of news sources
: - inequalities of wealth and opportunity
: - global extension of American power
: - corporate globalization
: - and the erosion of civil liberties.
:
: AWARE meets Sundays 5-7pm at the Independent Media Center, 218 W. Main St.
: in Urbana. All are welcome to attend! AWARE is also on the web at
: anti-war.net .
:
: R
: