[Peace-discuss] Snipers' 'X' marks Israeli-Arab construction workers

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 9 20:46:10 CST 2004

[This is from the Maariv International website.
Maariv is apparently a left-leaning Israeli paper,
judging from their op-eds. - RB]

“X” marks the Israeli-Arab workers at Knesset building
site

Hard hats worn by Israeli-Arab builders of the
Knesset's new wing marked with a red “X” -- to aid
security snipers. ADL criticizes move; speaker Rivlin
orders practice stopped.
Boaz Gaon

Knesset Speaker Reuven Rivlin has instructed that the
practice of marking the hard hats of Arab-Israeli
laborers at the Knesset be stopped.

Earlier, Maariv reported tha the white hard hats worn
by Israeli-Arab construction workers building the new
wing of the Knesset have been spray-painted with a red
“X”. The Security Department instructed that their
helmets be marked so that it would be easier to
distinguish them from other, foreign workers and keep
a constant watch on their movements. The instructions
were issued even though many of the workers were
cleared by the General Security Service within the
last month. In a story scheduled for the Hebrew
magazine section of Friday’s Maariv, the X is
explained as a target for security snipers posted on
the Knesset balcony, in the event of a riot or attack.

“We aren’t saying that there is no need for checking
us”, admitted Muhammad Hussein from Shaab. “But why do
be need to be singled out as Arabs? What is the red
spray paint on our heads for? As much as I want to
work, this hurts”.

The distinctions between workers at the construction
site aroused harsh reactions. “I think this is a
shameful disgrace for the Knesset”, MK Issam Mahoul
(Hadash-Ta’al) told Maariv. “This is exactly the kind
of thing that creates people like Eliran Golan [who
was arrested last week for bombing Mahoul's car]. I
have no problem with security needs but this kind of
marking is insufferable. If it isn’t removed, I will
insist that it be replaced with a yellow patch”.

MK Mohammad Barakeh (Hadash-Ta’al) announced that he
would raise the subject during a meeting of the
Knesset Presidium today. “This is reminiscent of
darker times and places in history. It doesn’t make
sense that in the Knesset, the symbol of Israeli
sovereignty, Israeli citizens are singled out because
of their origin". MK Ahmed Tibi (Hadash-Ta’al)
broached the subject with Knesset Speaker Reuven
Rivlin (Likud), who was surprised and promised to
respond. “Someone has made a terrible mistake and
tarnished the Knesset’s name”, said Tibi.

The Israel Office of the Anti-Defamation League (ADL)
has also harshly criticized the practice, issuing the
following statement: "While it is understandable that
all workers at sensitive sites such as the Knesset
have full and thorough security checks, it is both
discriminatory and insensitive to visibly mark certain
individuals based on race, religion or nationality,
regardless of security concerns"

The ADL, founded in 1913, is the world's leading
organization fighting anti-Semitism through programs
and services that counteract hatred, prejudice and
bigotry.

A Knesset spokesman responded that the marking was
required for security reasons and would be removed
when security approval is received for each individual
worker.

(2004-03-09 10:36:41.0)