[Peace-discuss] Howard Zinn's 7 rules

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Fri Mar 12 15:42:25 CST 2004

PLEASE POST....   THANKS!

Thanks to our friend Howard Zinn for the seven tips for the long haul, and
Asma Barla for circulating this article from Z Magazine.

March 7 1999

On Getting Along

By Howard Zinn

You ask how I manage to stay involved and remain seemingly happy and
adjusted to this awful world where the efforts of caring people pale in
comparison to those who have power?

It's easy. First, don't let "those who have power" intimidate you. No
matter how much power they have they cannot prevent you from living your
life, speaking your mind, thinking independently, having relationships with
people as you like. (Read Emma Goldman's autobiography LIVING MY LIFE.
Harassed, even imprisoned by authority, she insisted on living her life,
speaking out, however she felt like.

Second, find people to be with who have your values, your commitments, but
who also have a sense of humor. That combination is a necessity!

Third (notice how precise is my advice that I can confidently number it,
the way scientists number things), understand that the major media will not
tell you of all the acts of resistance taking place every day in the
society, the strikes, the protests, the individual acts of courage in the
face of authority. Look around (and you will certainly find it) for the
evidence of these unreported acts. And for the little you find, extrapolate
from that and assume there must be a thousand times as much as what you've
found.

Fourth. Note that throughout history people have felt powerless before
authority, but that at certain times these powerless people, by organizing,
acting, risking, persisting, have created enough power to change the world
around them, even if a little. That is the history of the labor movement,
of the women's movement, of the anti-Vietnam war movement, the disabled
persons movement, the gay and lesbian movement, the movement of black
people in the South.

Fifth: Remember, that those who have power, and who seem invulnerable are
in fact quite vulnerable, that their power depends on the obedience of
others, and when those others begin withholding that obedience, begin
defying authority, that power at the top turns out to be very fragile.
Generals become powerless when their soldiers refuse to fight,
industriaists become powerless when their workers leave the jobs or occupy
the factories.

Sixth: When we forget the fragility of that power in top we become
astounded when it crumbles in the face of rebellion. We have had many such
surprises in our time, both in the United States and in other countries.

Seventh: Don't look for a moment of total triumph. See it as an ongoing
struggle, with victories and defeats, but in the long run the consciousness
of people growing. So you need patience, persistence, and need to
understand that even when you don't "win," there is fun and fulfillment in
the fact that you have been involved, with other good people, in something
worthwhile.

Okay, seven pieces of profound advice should be enough.

Mary Anne Grady Flores
   Ithaca Catholic Worker
   Vieques Support Group
   514 N. Plain St.
   Ithaca, N.Y. 14850
   607-273-7437
      mgrady at lightlink.com
La Cocina Latina Catering

"Because we want peace with half a heart, half a life and will, the
war making continues.  Because the making of war is total - but the making
of peace by our cowardice is partial."  Father Daniel Berrigan

"There comes a time when silence is betrayal."  MLK

"If you think you're too small to be effective,
you've never been in bed with a mosquito."
                         -- War Resisters' League

"The poor tells us who we are,
  The prophets tell us who we could be,
  So we hide the poor,