[Peace-discuss] re: Langenheim vs Gill

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Sat Mar 13 18:54:39 CST 2004

Thank you; I'm charmed (under the assumption that I'm the Carl meant...),
but I also think that Alex Cockburn and Jeff St. Clair have it right when
they write the following:

"From the point of view of democracy, the American political system is a
shambles of corruption, gerrymandered to ensure that *it is almost
impossible to evict any sitting member of the House of Representatives.*
The presidential debates are fixed to exclude unwelcome intruders. Nader
says that in the whole of his 2000 challenge he got about 3 minutes
face-time on the major networks. You can understand why the two major
parties don't want any outsider spoiling the fun. They arranged things
that way, as Nader understands, and explains better than anyone."
[Emphasis added.]

I think we have to assume that the important things we do in pursuit of
AWARE's goals will be outside electoral politics.  (Not that electoral
politics can be ignored -- just not relied on.) --CGE