[Peace-discuss] another public CO case...

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 16 14:12:06 CST 2004

G.I. seeks conscientious objector status

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Martin Finucane

March 15, 2004  |  SHERBORN, Mass. (AP) -- A Florida soldier who refused to
return to duty in Iraq said Monday he will turn himself in to military
authorities and seek conscientious objector status.

Staff Sgt. Camilo Mejia, 28, of Miami was in Iraq from March until October
last year, when he returned home on leave. He did not return to duty.

"I am saying no to war; I have chosen peace," Mejia said at a news
conference arranged by antiwar activists. "I went to Iraq and was an
instrument of violence and now I have decided to become an instrument of
peace."

Mejia said he would turn himself in at Hanscom Air Force Base northwest of
Boston later in the day.

"I have not committed a crime and I should not run," Mejia said.

Mejia's lawyer, Louis Font, said he believes Mejia is the first soldier to
turn himself in after refusing to return to Iraq.

He said Mejia will seek an administrative discharge from the Army based on
his being a conscientious objector. Font said his client has never received
official notification that he was considered absent without leave.

Mejia began a 14-day leave on Oct. 1 and was supposed to return on Oct. 16.
Font said Mejia spent much of the time since living in New York City.
He said he was particularly upset over an incident in which he and others
were ambushed and innocent civilians were hit in the ensuing gunfire.

A native of Nicaragua, Mejia is a permanent resident of the United States
who served in the Army for three years. He had served in the National Guard
for five years when his unit was called to active duty. In civilian life, he
was a student at the University of Miami.

Lt. Col. Ron Tittle, a Florida National Guard spokesman, did not immediately
return a phone call seeking comment.