[Peace-discuss] sand fleas and their parasites from Iraqi

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Fri Mar 19 15:49:38 CST 2004

XX Army medical staff wrote: two types of leishmaniasis [1]skin/cutaneous
[2] visceral/internal organs. This report omit stats on how many have
the second type and they fail to tell you that the major for Desert Storm
number has the visceral type of leishmaniasis

Army treating hundreds of leishmaniasis cases

            FORT DETRICK, Md. (Army News Service, March 4, 2004) -- A
little-known
      parasite that causes chronic, festering sores will be returning home
with
      some of Operation Iraqi Freedom's warfighters.

      Cutaneous leishmaniasis, which affects the skin, is caused by a sand
fly
      bite that deposits the parasite that eventually causes weeping sores
that
      don't heal as quickly as regular sores.

      Iraq's sand flies are most active during warm nights from March to
      October, so troops on the move during Operation Iraqi Freedom were
right
      in the middle of "Sand fly Central."

      "In the march up to Baghdad, people would literally fall asleep on
their
      HUMVEE or out in the middle of the desert, so we had enormous amounts
of
      exposure in the evenings in areas where there were a lot of sand
flies,"
      said Col. Alan Magill, another of Walter Reed Army Institute of
Research's
      experts on leishmaniasis.

      Leish experts suspected the disease was going to be a problem for
troops,
      but until Weina arrived in theater to serve with the 520th Theater Army
      Medical Laboratory, they didn't know just how big the problem was.
      Initially sent to look for weapons of mass destruction, Weina's team
also
      looked for common diseases in the area, like leish, to see what risk
they
      posed to warfighters.

      By April 2003, fears were confirmed.

      "We found sand flies in the area and started testing them and found
some
      extraordinary infection rates in the flies," he said. "We expected to
find
      maybe one tenth of one percent of the sand flies to be infected with
      leishmaniasis, and we were finding two percent of the sand flies were
      infected in some locations."

      Finding that many infected sand flies meant a huge increase in the
      potential number of cases, so Weina and his team went into full
prevention
      mode.

      The discovery  of the leish problem coincided with the war, so getting
the
        word out on  the disease wasn't easy, Weina said.

      "I tried to get the attention of the brass above me ... but their
concerns
      weren't about the guys sleeping under bed nets but making sure they
      weren't going to get killed."

      He and his team also talked to the medical professionals in the area so
      they'd be on the lookout for leish. "The problem is that some (lesions)
      look like any other type of sore that you may have with a bacterial
      infection, but they just don't get better," Weina said. "We treated
with
      antibiotics first. Then if the antibiotics failed, we considered
      leishmaniasis."

      So far, more than 500 cases of leishmaniasis have been diagnosed.
Magill
      said he hedges when he's asked how many total cases to expect.
        [how many are visceral- internal organs is unknown! ]

      "The simple answer is: I don't know. But if you extrapolate, you're
      probably looking at the 750 to 1,250 range. It could be higher."

      Because the disease is difficult to diagnose without a lab and experts
      equipped to look for it, all leish smears are currently sent to the
Walter
      Reed Army Institute of Research for confirmation. The institute, in
fact,
      has the only leishmaniasis lab in the country that is accredited by the
      College of American Pathologist and is operated in accordance with the
      Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act.

      The ability to deliver a diagnosis lets the lab cross the boundary that
      typically exists between research and health care, Magill said. "Though
      the (institute's leishmaniasis) research program was eliminated (in
1996),
      the lab was maintained for just the scenario being played out today,"
he
      said.

      Many of the leish researchers, like Weina and Magill, are also
caregivers
      at the only U.S. military hospital where the treatment for leish can be
      offered, the Walter Reed Army Medical Center. Because the drug of
choice
      used to treat the most severe cases was never submitted to the Food and
      Drug Administration for its approval, the drug must be offered as an
      investigational new drug, which means following strict research
protocols
      and keeping meticulous records when the drug is given. The drug, sodium
      stibogluconate (Pentostam), is hardly "new," as it's been used for over
50
      years to successfully treat leish.

      Treatment typically consists of an outpatient regimen of receiving the
      drug intravenously daily for 20 days, though the type of leish acquired
in
      Iraq, leishmaniasis major, responds in 10 days. (in skin Lesh only)

      The volume of patients who need treatment has challenged both the
      institute and the hospital named after Walter Reed, Weina said.

      To put the current leish outbreak into perspective, Magill said that
for
      Operations Desert Shield and Storm, the official number of
      leishmaniasis cases was 32.

      "When you're treating 30 to 40 cases a year at the most, it's no big
deal
      having the patients come to Walter Reed Army Medical Center to be
      treated," Weina said. "But having 400 in a couple of months, now
there's a
      problem."

      Weina and Magill are traveling to posts with large numbers of returning
      troops -- like Fort Campbell, Ky.; Fort Hood, Texas; and Fort Carson,
      Colo. -- to let the troops and the medical professionals there know
what
      to look for.

      "The only problem is, like with most of tropical medicine, the
expertise
      to make the diagnosis is not well distributed. To physicians and lab
      technicians at Fort Campbell, this is not something many of them have
seen
      in their entire careers," Magill said.

      The leish experts are also looking at other treatment options for
      patients, including freezing the lesions or using a device that uses
heat
      to kill the parasite.

      "There's a good biologic rationale for it (heat therapy) to work and
some
      data that we've seen that says it works, but we are reluctant to
recommend
      a treatment when there's been no experience." Fifteen patients at
Walter
      Reed are currently enrolled in a study see if the thermal device works,
      and results should be available by March.

      "In the natural history of these lesions, if you do nothing, even for
the
      worst lesions, they will get better, he said. "But cosmetically this is
      very damaging. If you're walking around with some of these big lesions
on
      your face, psychologically there's a big impact there. This is an
      operationally acquired disease, and it's our job to address that."

      Treating the lesions is important to the troops and their families,
Weina
      said.

      "The American public sees Johnny come marching home from the war, and
Mom
      and Dad aren't thrilled about this nasty weeping lesion that's on his
face
      that might be there for a year. They want it to go away," he said.
"Even
      though it's not contagious, it's still a stigmata that they'd rather
not
      have."

 http://www4.army.mil/ocpa/read.php?story_id_key=5726