[Peace-discuss] Randall's WILL commentary

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 25 03:25:31 CST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Linda Evans" <veganlinda at yahoo.com>
To: "Peace Discuss" <peace-discuss at lists.groogroo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 10:19 PM
Subject: [Peace-discuss] Randall's WILL commentary

: Randall,
:
: I thought your commentary was great, but I did notice
: a difference in what they said prior and after your
: commentary.  They seemed a little apologetic.

Yeah, both the intro and outro were notable.

I recorded the whole thing - here's a transcript of the intro:

-------- begin ----------
In general, we consider our locally-produced call-in talk programs to be our
vehicles for listeners to participate
in dialog about important issues of the day. From time to time, though, we
hear from someone for whom those programs might not provide an appropriate
venue. Randall Cotton recently submitted some of his thoughts about the
United States military action in Iraq.
--------- end -----------

I'm not sure why they introduced it this way. Why not just say "here's a
guest commentary submitted by Randall Cotton". What's with the cryptic
"appropriate venue" wordage? It's so nebulous that it could indeed be
interpreted as apologetic - sort of like "well this guy has been kind of a
problem for us, but we had to give him some airtime so he could vent his
views since our call-in talk programs aren't an 'appropriate venue'. Sorry
about this." That's an extreme interpretation, but still valid, I think.

and here's the outro:
-------- begin ----------
WILL AM-580 will consider replies addressed to 300 N. Goodwin Avenue, Urbana
61801 or e-mailed to willamfm at uiuc.edu
--------- end -----------

Continuing with the extreme interpretation, this sounds a bit like "Please
send us rebuttals to this guy's rant".

I wonder what they intend to do with any "replies" they receive? And what
kind of replies could they expect to get? It seems to me that this is only
likely to elicit some sort of pro-war commentary, it seems to me. Perhaps
that's the idea.

I'm mulling over how to proceed.

  They
: said something about most listeners find the local
: talk portion of AM580 sufficient to voice their views,
: but implied that the following person didn't find
: their views expressed on AM580.  Also, at the end of
: the commentary they usually say something like 'We
: encourage listeners like you to get involved.  If you
: would like to be a guest commentator on AM580 call
: xxx-xxxx.'  They did not say this after Randall's
: commentary.  What she did say was if you would like to
: comment on this commentary please write to (gave the
: address).
:
: Keep the commentaries coming.  :-)
:
: Linda
:
:
: =====
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
: Do you Yahoo!?
: Yahoo! Finance Tax Center - File online. File on time.
: http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html
:
: Peace-discuss mailing list
: Peace-discuss at lists.cu.groogroo.com