[Peace-discuss] No one is immune from criticism, not even Chomsky

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Sun May 2 16:14:55 CDT 2004

I think that the reason why Chomsky did not reply to your satisfaction
is that there is no easy reply. It depends … on the individual,
circumstances, and other factors. This point is brought out
compellingly in the Peters' article.

As for the lesser of two evils, that's the way most of the world runs,
unfortunately. One can be realistic and insightful, and at the same
time principled; they are not mutually exclusive. There are short and
long term consequences to actions one takes, and many believe that a
compromise of principles, at times when a decision is necessary, is the
best way to ultimately realize those principles. It's a question of how
dire one believes the situation is, and what alternatives exist. Think
of the Iraqi resisters in Falluja: Should they have resisted to the end
even at the cost of total destruction of their people and city or
should they have welcomed an Iraqi guy put in charge by the Americans?
A devil's dilemma.

Many have the same quandary as Chomsky, and have decided, yes, that the
lesser of two evils in the present circumstances is the path to follow,
Bush and company being anathema. Kerry and company seems a little
better (on some issues at least), and perhaps more influenced by
reasonable people. See the article in The Nation by Jonathan Schell:
"Truth, Politics, and Kerry" which I thought insightful.

MKB