[Peace-discuss] reply to Ricky

Thomas Mackaman mackaman at uiuc.edu
Mon May 3 22:54:08 CDT 2004

Ricky makes somes interesting points (see below) about
movements being the imperative, and not elections.  True
enough, but elections are about much more than counting
votes.  And while I have not read the books that he
mentions, I'm sure that in drawing up an honest balance
sheet for all sorts of grass-roots movements, we could see
that they have often gained a number of short-term
successes.

But if we consider the long-term--and this holds true of
many movements between the 30s adn 60s-- then we must
conclude that they have also failed in large part due to
their inability, or unwillingness, to break from the
Democratic Party.  A great example of this is the CIO, which
grew out of the mass industrial protests of the 30s.  One
can argue whether or not the CIO's devotion to FDR was
effective (I'd argue against)-- but by the mid 40s its
subserviance to the Democrats spelled doom for organized
labor's future.  The worst consequences of this came in the
50s and 60s, when--so as not to offend the southern wing of
the Democratic Party--  the labor movement by and large
abstained from the Civil Rights movement in the South.  The
CIO is not alone; similar examples can be seen with the
Civil Rights and environmental movements.  The peace
movement now faces a similar dilemma.

Kerry has unambiguously, publically, and repeatedly told us
that he will carry forward Bush's war policies ("failure is
not an option").  Therefore, any *peace* movement that
exists will hereafter, by definition, be in opposition to
the Democratic Party.  The question is whether or not people
will draw these conclusions, and move to advance a political
alternative to imperialist war.  Under these conditions,
washing one's hands of the elections and declaring "the
movement is everything" has already become a deadend.

Tom
Message: 2