[Peace-discuss] Two items

David Green davegreen48 at yahoo.com
Fri May 7 22:41:46 CDT 2004

Subject: Student President of Hillel Chapter at U. of
Richmond Is
Ousted After Criticizing Israeli Embassy

Chronicle of Higher Education
Wednesday, May 5, 2004
Student President of Hillel Chapter at U. of Richmond
Is Ousted After
Criticizing Israeli Embassy
By ERIC HOOVER

The organization that sponsors the University of
Richmond's Hillel
chapter removed the group's student president this
semester after she
sent a critical e-mail message to the Israeli Embassy,
in Washington.
Jilian R. Redford, a junior, had served as the Hillel
chapter's
president since the beginning of the fall semester. On
February 12,
after receiving an e-mail message from the Israeli
Embassy's office of
academic affairs, Ms. Redford wrote in a response:
"Could you please
stop sending me email after email about radical
zionist propaganda?"
In the message, a copy of which she gave to The
Chronicle, Ms. Redford
continued, "I don't know if you realize that Hillel's
mission statement
is based on fostering religious life on college
campuses and not
organizing marches, protests, or listening to speakers
who encourage us
to hate our Palestinian neighbors."
She also asked to be removed from the embassy's e-mail
list.
In an interview on Tuesday, Ms. Redford said that the
next day she was
summoned to the Weinstein Jewish Community Center -- a
Richmond-based
organization that oversees the university's Hillel
chapter -- to
discuss
the e-mail message, which the embassy had forwarded to
officials at the
center
In a meeting, two staff members of the center asked
Ms. Redford to
apologize to the embassy, but she refused to do so,
according to both
Ms. Redford and Lisa Looney, the center's director of
university
services.
Ms. Redford said that during the meeting Ms. Looney
and another staff
member told her that the embassy had demanded her
ouster. She said that
she was "grilled" about her opinions on Israeli
policies, and also that
one of the two staff members mentioned that Ms.
Redford, who had been
raised as a Southern Baptist, had converted to Judaism
only after
coming
to the university.
But Ms. Looney disputed those assertions.
"The embassy had absolutely, unequivocally nothing to
do with the
decision," Ms. Looney said in an interview.
"Her political views never came up" during the
meeting, Ms. Looney
said.
"All I wanted to see happen was for her to apologize
for the tone of
her
letter, not the content." She said she had had a good
working
relationship with Ms. Redford before the incident.
Ms. Looney said that if Ms. Redford had not included
her title in her
e-mail message to the embassy, the center's staff
would not have
objected to it.
In a February 18 letter to Ms. Redford, Orly Lewis,
the center's
director of adult services, suggested that Ms.
Redford's goals were "in
conflict" with those of Hillel. "While all of us are
entitled to our
own
opinions, in this instance you are representing the
Hillel organization
and not yourself," Ms. Lewis wrote.
The letter also referred to Ms. Redford's refusal to
invite to a Hillel
event a speaker the center had mentioned earlier in
the semester. Ms.
Redford said she had told a staff member at the center
that the
speaker,
a faculty member at Richmond, was a "racist."
After Ms. Redford again declined to apologize, Ms.
Looney informed her
of her dismissal in a letter, dated March 3, that
called Ms. Redford's
conduct "both unprofessional and disrespectful."
Ms. Redford said Tuesday that she had mixed feelings
about her ouster.
"It feels good not to be a part of an organization
like that," she
said.
"After the way they treated me, it made me want to
completely distance
myself from them."
Richmond's Hillel chapter receives its financing from
the center.
Previously, the chapter did not have a clear policy
governing the
election and removal of student leaders, according to
Leonard S.
Goldberg, Richmond's vice president for student
affairs. But following
the incident, the university helped students and the
center draft
bylaws.
"I questioned whether an outside organization should
be able to fire or
terminate a student leader," said Mr. Goldberg, who
met with staff
members of the center this spring to discuss the new
policy. "We had a
cordial conversation, but I made it quite clear that
we can't have an
outside organization removing students."
Officials at the Israeli Embassy did not return calls
requesting
comment
on Tuesday.

Message: 12