[Peace-discuss] ANTI-IMMIGRANT LEGISLATION DEFEATED!! Still need YOUR help!

Brooke Anderson brooke at shout.net
Tue May 18 14:55:23 CDT 2004

Dear friends,

I write you with wonderful, wonderful news!! This morning, HR 3722 --
the legislation that would have required hospitals to report to the
Department of Homeland Security any undocumented immigrants that
sought care in their emergency room -- was defeated in the U.S. House
of Representatives by a vote of 331 to 88.

In addition, we succeeded in getting our own representative - Rep.
Timothy Johnson - to vote AGAINST the legislation, a major coup for
us!

CONGRATULATIONS to all of you!! Over 100 of you wrote emails or made
phone calls over the past week to Mr. Johnson and other
representatives in Illinois to ask them to oppose this outrageous
legislation. Thank you so much for all of your hard work. *You* are
the reason that Johnson voted no on this legislation - way to go!

TAKE ACTION! We have just one more favor to ask of you. When our
representatives respond positively to their constituents and vote the
way we have requested, it it important to show our appreciation and
support. Please take a moment to call or email Mr. Johnson to thank
him for OPPOSING HR 3722:

   Email form on the web: http://www.house.gov/writerep/
   Johnson's office in DC*: (202) 225-2371

   * Ask for Kelly Nettleton, his health care staff person.

Please let me know if you send an email or make a call, so we can
keep track of how many thank-you's he gets.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Sincerely,
Brooke Anderson for CCHCC
--